Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

Blocking Popups...

So, I want to block popups but I dotn want to run extra programs. is there a way I can restrict well known popup places like ad.whatever from even opening?

If there is such a way does anyone know where I can get a huge list to the popup sites?

Also, if it is not possible, is there a very small well known application that can do this task that is not cheap ass and not overbearing? also a frequently update list would be nice.

I use PopUpCOP, but I also use Zone ALarm and have a huge hosts file that blocks sites out altogether

Quote:
Quote:
Use Phoenix as your browser. It blocks pop-ups
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

Phoenix == Mozilla == craptacular

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but personally, I say that Mozilla 1.1 is the best browser I've ever used. With features like pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing (yes I know it's stolen from Opera), full Cascading Style Sheets (buggy in IE and current Opera 7 Beta) and Document Object Model (non-existent in Opera 6) support, plus the infinitely useful DOM Inspector, and the fact that it doesn't crash repeatedly (unlike previous Mozilla versions :)), makes it a clear winner.

Note: this is just my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. Anyway isn't this thread about pop-up blockers for IE?

Use a IE enhancement. My favourite is MyIE2. You get a popup killer, tabbed browsing and much more from this freeware. It is one of the best true freebies I've found in a long time...

H.

Kill Ad is that phattest popup killer. Its really tiny, free, and has a mode called "Terminator Mode" which kills every instance of IE. It is, of course, customizable too so you can have a "safe list". worth a look.

Quote:
Use a IE enhancement. My favourite is MyIE2. You get a popup killer, tabbed browsing and much more from this freeware. It is one of the best true freebies I've found in a long time...

H.

Thanks, I looked into this after reading your post, and if anyone else is interested, the homepage is here. Looks good, going to install now and give it a shot.

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd change the subject a little and ask if anyone else has started to notice Net MSG (aka WinPopUp) messages popping up on their computers displaying ads? I absolutely hate it, but I think it would be hard to block, because anyone can spoof any unocupied IP address. So in essence I could block an IP address that one day I might try to access legitemately and wouldn't be able to load it.

Unbind File and Print Sharing from your Internet adaptor, that'll fix it. Even better, install a firewall and make absolutely sure that ports 137-139 are blocked.

Quote:
Unbind File and Print Sharing from your Internet adaptor, that'll fix it.

No, I'm afraid not. I know, because I have received one such message (before I turned off the service), and File and Print sharing has always been unbound on my modem connection (as it is by default, at least in XP). If you don't believe me, try it.

Quote:
Even better, install a firewall and make absolutely sure that ports 137-139 are blocked.

Yes, blocking the ports should work fine.

Thanks Admiral LSD. I think Clutch is wrong though. There must be some additional functionality penalty for disabling netbios like there is for removing file and printer sharing (obvious penalties). Since I don't know what features Netbios provides would some Admin like elaborate on what would be missing.

Thanks,

Christian

No, I am right. I have done this on many servers that sit on the perimeter. There is ZERO reason to have NetBIOS enabled on an outside NIC, unless you are using a nested domain (a domain housed inside another domain) where you want to have replication of WINS info between multiple domains. It seems to me that it would be hard to pass judgement on an opinion where you are not familiar with the topic. NetBIOS is simply a core protocol heavily used in MS (SMB as well) systems, and was the foundation for NetBEUI (a very small, very fast broadcast-based protocol). When MS decided to ditch the effort on NetBEUI (I saw this mostly around '97-'98, but probably sooner with their gradual push into DNS and TCP/IP) and go into TCP/IP, they really pushed WINS as a solution for name and resource resolution. NetBIOS handles RPC information, such as using remote consoles for user and system management on remote systems, and should NEVER be left bound to a controller that is not used for this purpose. When you remove the ability for an OS to "listen" for commands, you are closing a potentially large hole. So what I do is just unbind NetBIOS over TCP/IP from the external NIC, and I also remove "File and Printer Sharing" along with "Client for MS Networks" if possible. This will keep the OS from using that NIC for most authentication purposes. Basically, you are stripping that NIC down to core functionality which is equivalent to a *nix/BSD system, and they have been working on networks for years, right?

NetBios.png

Okay well it looks like Netbios isn't terribly necessary. This description makes it sound like it's left from Dos networking days where the computer names had to be really short. Of course there wasn't any mention there about the net MSG stuff. So this will disable the messenger functionality altogether. Is there a way I can just trust a few computer names (not necessarily in my network or workgroup? I would trust IP addresses, but my friends and I are all on DHCP.

Cheers,

Christian