Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hawken

IBM 120GXP problem under win2000

Hello.

I've just bought a 120gb disk from IBM. After many problems i finally got it formatted, but transfering and reading files from it is a big problem. It's slow and it's lagging the system completely down. I've tried to upgrade BIOS, VIA drivers and promise drivers. But theres no difference in the performance.

Anyone expirienced the same problem before?

MB: Asus A7V

512MB SDRAM

Could be the cable you're using... is it the 80-wire ATA cable, or something different (like rounded cables?). I've seen this problem before with old 40-wire cables...

It's an IBM. Check your event log for IDE errors, go to the IBM website and download the IBM diagnostics, finally rip it out of your system, bash it with a sledge about 50 times, throw the ashes in a furnace, take the ashes and dump them in an abandoned missle silo and fill it up with concrete all the way to the top. laugh

I've tested several things now. And finally it worked when i tried using the ata-66 controller. But still i have a problem with the disk. It's making som weird noices when it's not working. Like a scratching-sound which accours from time to time. Like 10 minutes or so.

Is there a way to block it from making noices when it's not working? smile

IBM has been having MASSIVE problems with those drives - you should dump it ASAP. I even read somewhere where a IBM support rep told someone that they should never run their 120 more than 8 hours a day - WTF?!?!

Yup heard that one too from our Dell rep.

Stay away from IBM dirves period. I had major issues with Intergraph systems running their Ultrastar line. To say the least 23 of the 25 systems within 2 years, were replaced to the Quantum/Maxtor Atlas lines (which have been running great since). 8 of the systems drives were initially replaced within the first 2 months.

I can't say it enough, STAY AWAY FROM IBM DRIVES. Although I don't know about their microdrives.

JediBaron's right, trade for a new drive if you can. Seagate's and Fujitsu's are pretty solid and not much of a price difference.

NO NOT FUJI!!!!

fuji have crap thermal protection, worse than samsung!

Seagate, WD, Maxtor are good in that order.

LOL.

I've had no problems with my Fuji sitting in my systems within a dual air conditioned closet. I'm serious.

smile

I guess don't get Fuji if your're goin for regular room temperature.