Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gilgamesh

Doom III

This was supposed to be a response to Doom 3 Patch but somehow it screwed up.... wink

Yea i think the mods are what might make the game somewhat good. After I got over the general effect of the creepy atmosphere of the demo (which took like a whole 5 minutes), I was thoroughly bored. It is just another typical ID style game, not much for any breakthoughs in gameplay. Just another corridor shooter with pretty graphics.

FYI, the release date for Doom 3 has been confirmed at March 31st. Not so bad, now is it? I would really be interested in knowing what this leak has done to the development cycle. I really hope that this leak and the pressure on ID surrounding it will not have any adverse effects, such as incomplete beta testing, rushed levels, enemy AI, etc. I guess we'll all have to wait until it's released to find out.

Wow get all defensive will ya laugh All I was saying that as of now Doom III has little in the way of new gameplay. If they do indeed implement more involved and complicated gameplay, it will most likely be a decent game. However, looking at ID's past releases, Doom III will likely not contain any significant new gameplay elements, only graphics.

Even so, gilgamesh, their game engines are used in many other games and mods, so even if the game itself isn't stellar, there is potential. For example, just off-hand, here's a list of games that use the Quake 3 engine:

American McGee's Alice

Jedi Knight II

Medal Of Honor: Allied Assualt

Medal Of Honor: Allied Assualt Spearhead

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Soldier Of Fortune II

Now keep in mind, that the list is incomplete, and some of the engines are modified. My point is this: regardless if the game is great or flunks, the Doom 3 engine does have a lot of potential. The above list is an idea just how far a 3 year old game engine can be stretched.

Never did I say the engine had no potential. I said the gameplay could possibly be mediocre at best. As for the engine itself, it's breath-taking. The amount of detail in the game is awe-spiring. When someone makes a Jedi Knight II or Half-Life (figuratively of course) with that engine, it will be amazing.

According to Willits himself and I quote "Doom 3 will use "the same basic navigational path system (created by van Waveren) as Q3."

Revolutionary AI is low on the priority list for JC because "monster's don't need it".

Also there will be no destructibe terrain. (except for monster's breaking through walls.)

So don't expect fights such as the ones between yourself and AI opponents in HL.

Really ALL Doom 3 is gonna be is Doom 1 with shadows making it more scary, higher graphics quality, mabye half a dozen monsters in one room at once, and a much slower gameplay pace. That's it. Don't expect any more 'cause it's not gonna be there. Just like UT2K3 your gonna love what other game companies do with the engine.

Amen, DosFreak! Someone who sees Doom III for what it really could and most likely will be. Doom III will be essentially the 5th doom game. I mean Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 are basically the same, but with new engines. You could have just as easily called them Doom 3, Doom 4, and Doom 4.5, making this new installment Doom 5. If you ask me ID's games just got boring after the original Doom series.

Here's a good editorial by gamespy:

http://www.gamespy.com/legacy/editorials/doom3_a.shtm

JC has the same problem most techies have, no imagination when it comes to the creative story side of things. He makes 3D engines and does it well.

However, the player experience seems to lack in the last few ID games.

I enjoyed Quake 2 but for multiplayer only. Quake 3 Was fun for a while.

THey need to allow companies like Raven to use the engine to Make Doom 3

Sure I'll buy Doom 3 as will a lot of folks, but they have way for competition then they have had in the past. And If they want to see it atop the sales charts for more then 2 weeks, they might want to focus on gameplay

Quote:

Yeah, Raven did a stellar job with Soldier of Fortune 2...

Quote:
Amen, DosFreak! Someone who sees Doom III for what it really could and most likely will be. Doom III will be essentially the 5th doom game. I mean Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 are basically the same, but with new engines. You could have just as easily called them Doom 3, Doom 4, and Doom 4.5, making this new installment Doom 5. If you ask me ID's games just got boring after the original Doom series.

Here's a good editorial by gamespy:

http://www.gamespy.com/legacy/editorials/doom3_a.shtm

You're forgetting "Final Doom." That was supposed to be the last Doom game (it even says so on the box). It's why I laugh about ids decision to make their next game "Doom 3" (not to mention Carmack getting all pissy when his staff weren't all on side)

Quote:

Raven are making Quake 4 I believe.

I'm in two minds about that... On one hand without id doing anything but the base engine it has the potential to be a good game (something which the previous Quakes were not) but on the other hand, if they try and emulate the previous Quakes then it'll suck.

Quote:
Revolutionary AI is low on the priority list for JC because "monster's don't need it".

;(

Translation: "We can't write AI routines to save ourselves which is why the monsters in our previous games have been as thick as two short planks and we had to "borrow" the Quake 1 Reaper Bot AI for Quake 3"

Speaking of third-party bot AI, has anyone who plays Quake 3 played against the Lakerbot? It's well balanced, not as good as Xaero on nightmare, but it plays intelligently, listening for footsteps, etc. It's available here for anyone who wants to give it a shot. I frequently play against it in Promode.

Actually ID is calling Doom 3 a remake of Doom 1...so it's really Doom 1. It's easier just to refer to it as Doom 3..less confusion that way. smile

Doom 3 will be about the engine. The game will be cool, scary and such, but, once you've played through it once, that's it. The MP is gonna be almost non-existent.

As for the Q3 engine, just look at the graphic quality in RTCW. UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE. The graphics in the church were impressive.

Raven is doing Quake 4, which is a good thing, because they are the best FPS company on the planet at the moment. Anyone who has played the SoF series, JKII, Elite Forces will understand that.

what I want to see is someone make a WWII based shooter with the Doom 3 engine. That would be f****** cool...

i think the whole WWII game thing will pretty played out by the time they start making other games with Doom3 tech.

At a guess, i think Vietnam era games will be the next vogue in FPS gaming.

A Doom3 engine Vietnam game could be very kick @ss.

It's sad that since Quake I every Id game has been a sequel of some sort. It might be a good time to think about game design ID. ;(

Quote:
It's sad that since Quake I every Id game has been a sequel of some sort. It might be a good time to think about game design ID. ;(

When you have developers beating a path to your door to use your latest engine you can afford to neglect game design.

Well then maybe they should call their company "ID 3D Engine Design and Licensing, Inc." That would be more fitting.

But if they did that they'd lose out on the idiot fanboy market who think "CARAMACK IS GOD!!!11!!!111 ID GAEMS R COOL!!!11!!"