Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gregor

Home Network - problem

i have two computers in home network, crossover cable, windows xp pro (+sp1) on both. network created with wizzard. everything looks perfect... BUT...

computerA can access computerB shared folders!

computerB cannot access computerA shared folders!

both computers see all shared folders in My network places!

when computerB tries to access computerA folders, it just locks up! the clock cursor appears and that's it! my network places doesn't respond anymore! i runned networ wizzard for 100times on both computers but without success!!!

any help please?! :'(

Do you have the user account for user B on computer A ?

Sorry I never used the wizard, but basically you need to have the shares set, and you need to have users with rights on both PC's if I recall right. Also you have the (XP?) firewall correctly set / disabled and the same services running on both PCs ?

H.

well,...

* shares seted properly (this whole thing worked before!)

* users rights seted properly on both computers!

* firewall disabled everywhere!

* same services runing properly on both machines!

frown

Well, well,

something is wrong, isn't it ? Sounds strange though. As both computers see all shares it sounds like your protocols and hardware are alright but if you easily can you should try a different cable. I'd also suggest you try by manually creating a new share and a new user on both machines to see if that gets you forward. It sounds like one user doesn't have the access rights...Personally I can't stand the wizard, so do it manually, that way you know what your settings are..

H.

i just figured out, B CAN access A, but it takes loooooooong time to get in shared folder...

what's the problem then?

How long is a "loooooooong time" ?

Some suggestions and troubleshooting tips could be:

Try starting the machines in a different sequence, the machine that starts first will be the "master browser" and sometimes this makes a huge difference, especially if we are talking a new fast PC and a old slow PC. If you have (or have had) Zone Alarm installed that could be the culprit, it must either be correctly configured or partly removed manually. Off is not necessarily good enough.

Also, try accessing by using the //computername syntax from a command prompt, does that make a difference ? Does everything work fast and fine when you get in ? Are the NICs identical - are their properties OK in system manager ? Are the shares mounted or do you go in thru "my network places", "workgroup name" ?

One thing which would be helpful to know are the reply times. Could you ping the machines from eachother and look at the results (ping A from B and B from A). Any differences in the reply time ?

...and forget about the wizard, learn to do it manually, that way you **know** what the settings are. Plenty of how-to guides out there.

I know there's a fix for this. This is a copy paste from http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1 also posted on ntcompatible

Tweak #10 - Speeding Up Share Viewing

This is a great tweak. Before I found it, I was always smashing my head against the table waiting

to view shares on other computers. Basically, when you connect to another computer with Windows

XP, it checks for any Scheduled tasks on that computer - a fairly useless task, but one that can

add up to 30 seconds of waiting on the other end - not good! Fortunately, it's fairly easy to

disable this process. First, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current

Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace in the Registry. Below that, there should be a key

called {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. Just delete this, and after a restart,

Windows will no longer check for scheduled tasks - mucho performance improvement!

Hope it can solve your problem.