Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Admiral LSD

Stuff disappearing from Systray, SP1 bug?

As the title suggests, I've noticed that icons have started disappearing (and sometimes not appearing entirely) from my System Tray. If you load the Task Manager processes exist for all of them just their icons aren't showing. Now I know that XP tucks inactive icons away after a while (and when you have 16 icons in there you leanr to appreciate that) but even after you expand the tray they're still not there. Anyone else noticed this problem and is it specific to SP1?

I have only seen this if explorer crashes and restarts. Sometimes the icons disappear but their processes still remain running.

I've been noticing that since Win95 too (pity that the feature MS provided to try and rectify it, starting explorer windows in seperate processes, doesn't really work properly...) but that isn't it since when that happens, all but a select few icons (those that start from the registry IIRC) disappear and thats not whats happening.

I've found that draging the taskbar offscreen and back on screen makes the icons come back if they disappear. Rarely happens tho

I've been getting this problem too.. All my battery and volume settings clearly have "Show icon in tray" enabled, but they only intermittently showup in the tray.. I don't get it, they're not even there when I expand the tray..

This is a problem I got only AFTER installing SP1..

I wish M$ got their stuff together and fixed the essential parts of the OS before dilly-dallying with their ugly ugly UI

-Prabhath