Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Awaxx

2195 and 2195 retail

Core released a version of Win2k, 2 days ago (12/15/99). This release was called "Win2k FINAL FULL RETAIL".

The .nfo said :

Û² Just for the guys who care - didn't mention it in server version: ²Û

Û² All builds u got till now include a Time-bomb - your win2000 will ²Û

Û² expire in 120/444 days - the 2195 build you saw yesterday in a ²Û

Û² lot of warez channels will expire coz it's an evalutation copy! ²Û

Û² This one is full retail & Upgrade. ²Û

So is this true and are other version time bombed ?

Awx

2195 Has 120 day timer. So in 4 month it will be gone. That is if u get 2195.1. BUT if u can get a hold on 2195.3 then it'll be with u forever smile.gif

So my version is supposed to be 2195.3 but where can I check it (in MyComputer->Properties : 5.00.2195) ?

Awx - forever ????

heheh i remember when Win95 was release in august of 95.

I have a friend that got the final release in the begining of july.

Sometimes.. this happends..

but i prefeer to buy the final product.

Awaxx, and to all of you if you wanna check your version of win2k to see if you ahve 2195.3 or not search for dosnet.inf in your i386 folder and see what version it says near the top. Msot all copies going around are 2195.1

I have had several downloads and uploads result in "DOH! not the right one" =(

Anyone stopped to consider that the build 2195 circulating around could legally be called piracy, as it is no longer a beta product?

.. Just a random thought..

- Mousepad

Well, I'll be darned.

I only thought 2195.3 was circulating. I guess Microsoft has started to assign their final builds in some other way.

You know what always annoyed me? I wish they assigned unique builds to service packs. NT4 SP6 is still 1381. Honestly, how many times was it recompiled? Maybe that would be impossible, because then you wouldn't know where to begin a new product, but at least they could do a sub-build. Unless that’s what they have started to do... By the time Win2k SP6 is out, we might be at 2195.4192 or some inane number. Sorry for the incoherent rambling.

I guess it is one of those days where I would rather do anything but work wink.gif

Oh, before I forget, bravo to Mousepad on the piracy issue. The idea that someone would steal something I had wrote would really upset me. I can understand what Microsoft must feel, multiplied by 40 or 50 million. If someone *really* wants a free OS, go download Linux.

At this point, the only people entitled to 2195 would be technical beta testers (the 120 day version), MSDN members (full version, once it is released), and the new preview program. Heck, if it really is too expensive, pre-order the academic version. I think it is priced at $99 for the full "non-upgrade" version.

Which reminds me. I thought MS made a promise about immediate availability of 2K to MSDN members. I will count myself lucky if I can download it before Jan 1.

[This message has been edited by DrSchmoe (edited 17 December 1999).]

Whaaa whaaa cry cry, There is a reason they include a expiry period. They don't care if you HAVE a copy of the evaluation. The one that matters to them is the one that you pay 300$ for and not everyone here is in school and gets it for 99$.

ooooh ooooh.. i bid $69 dollars! "does he come with leather straps?"

*wink* j/k seldzar, having some harmless phun!

while on the issue, i have heard countless remarks, suggestions, opinions that there was never a .3 version, personally i dont know what to think of all this. no one has actually seen or has the .3 ver, and i dont work for MS so how would i know? of course people have connections, heck even inside of microsoft and they can swear that there is a .3 ver it just hasnt been released. Like the other day in #win2000 on EFNet, this guy could swear on his moms grave that there was no such thing as a .3 version, they were all .1 ver he said except there were different variations of .1 ones that included the 120 expiration (timebomb as so many call it) and the other that didnt. of course so many say that .1 is the version that has been released and has the 120 exp, and .3 is the real RTM which gets distributed on feb 17th and has no timelimit whatsoever. so we all have our thoughts ..lets just try to keep the confusion down a bit. if .3 finally gets released then we'll be happy. until then confusion rules.

also to note: core's release is 2195.1 but it has no expiration, because at the beginning of setup it does not show the 120 day license as other 2195.1 versions. weird.

chameleon kyoshiro

win2kbox.8m.com

You guys jsut don't see it yet but you are already all my beeatches!!

With every click of your mouse i'm getting to you, with every data packet that leaves your pc...i'm there watching....

umm ok i'll get a life now. =-o)

And i'll bid 200$ for chameleon to be MY *****!

hehe

As Cham said, Ive got a 2195.1 version (as Seldzar said to chechk (dosnet.inf)) and I've never seen any splash screen warning me of this so called "time bomb".

Can we check or crack the time bomb just by changing the date or is Win2k more clever ?????

Awx

PS : me french, me speak bad english

[This message has been edited by Awaxx (edited 19 December 1999).]

I definitely come with leather interior, heated bottom ..etc. deluxe package baby!!

ya can do better than $200 ! ;oX

back to earth now: i think i can call this a fact for now so it will be brief: somehow there must be 2 versions of 2195.1 being spread, 1 that has the 120 day timelimit certificate as such the version given out to CPP customers (reference: today's news http://ntcompatible.cjb.net ) and the other version2 has been very cleverly hacked with conclusions to CoreUtils (maybe we can get an interview of a Cureutils member?) which they have removed the evaluation notice on the right hand bottom of the screen and the 120 day limit certificate warning during setup. "of course this is very hard to do". which makes theory #3 come into effect ..which means 2195.1 got miracously leaked out right after MS took all of the timebomb mumbo jumbo, and has it polished up as 2195.3 but also before they could implement the the proper build version number into dosnet.inf (now lets get a word from bills gates on line number 4)

of course this is all one hypothetical theory which just popped up while i was having a wet dream of Seldzar buying me for $10,000 and i had my own poolhouse... but anyways.

on a more to earth note: there are updated aspi drivers on my page and updated opengl drivers for win2k voodoo3 owners *thnx to seldzar's opengl icd discovery* so head down there now! mistress chameleon commands it!

chameleon kyoshiro at win2kbox.8m.com

p.s. im really a guy! ;o)

I don't think that coreutil have cracked w2k. There's no cracker listed in the NFO and if they managed to crack it they would have written it in the nfo. They should be proud of it. So there are only 2 different versions of 2193.1 one with time-bomb and one without.

ummm crack?...who said anything about a crack....it's a different build from MS without any time expiring evaluation. simple. I have 2195.3 and there is no evaluation and build # on the desktop, nor was the word evaluation mentioned anywhere.

2195.3 is not out yet, the lack of evaluation and build number on the desktop doesn't mean anything.

The coreutil release is not cracked, that's the word on IRC.

hmmm.. all you guys b***ch slaping each other and sh*t ... wake the f**k up and actually listen to each others post 4 once. i've manage to install the latest build , retail or whatever you wanna call it.. It runs just dandy.. like Seldzar said, no build number and evalution on the bottom left corner of the screen.. the build 2195.1 that i installed earlier that day had that.. the to boot the serial was totally different.. oh.. btw. when you upgrade to a newer build.. it usually says that you have a newbuild and asks if you would like to upgrade.. with the supposily retail one.. it didn't ask to upgrade.. but when installed i had a different cdkey ... i am thinking the time bomb could possibly be the cdkey... it's was probably the exact same build 2195.1 but the cdkey that came with the *retail* made it retail..

ps.. i know from past experience that with cdrwin.. if you used a bad key.. it would burn like a certain number of good copies and then a certain number of bad copies.. and that was all because of a bad key..

Miscro**** probably doing the same.. but for the time trial.. i would like someone to try out the key on the existing build 2195.1 and reinstall it or reupgrade it..just to see if it actually works..

thats the key that i installed with! except i bent one little rule .. you should check my website for the update on that. im sure it will be quite a read, included a picture as proof as well.. this will finally put an end to the entire issue! moderator, no its not warez, so you'll get a kick out too! go check it out!! and it was so easy too.!

chameleon.kyoshiro

win2kbox.8m.com

Chameleon - Thank you! I humble myself before you. Excellent find. How can I open the iso, add this file, then burn the whole thing to cd maintaining the integrety of the iso so that it will be bootable? Thanks again!

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

So how do I get the Build number off my desktop?

I know the "Active Desktop" work-around, but that stifles performace and degrades the image quality of desktop wallpaper.

It is a little annoying that Microsoft thinks we need to be reminded that we are using Windows 2K. Like I am suddenly going to forget what OS I am using???

*grumble grumble*

Never mind. I figured it out.

The "PaintDesktopVersion" needs to be a DWORD value in the registry. Since I had modified that value before, it was a string, not a DWORD. After converting it to a DWORD it worked just fine.

I tested on an RC3 server to see if I could disable it, and I couldn't. I guess Microsoft was just being stubborn.

To open ISO download WinImage (it is shareware so look for it on Download.com and such) and open it... duh smile.gif Replace the file and burn it back up. The only thing that might go wrong here is the CD u gonna make will not be bootable.

So winimage will open iso's as well as .bin? I will try that. Considering that I burned it to a cdrw, is it possible to just burn the single file to overwrite the older one? Thanks again :-)

------------------

Shrink

Nope - mswin2k.net is not reachable - the site must be down. Bummer.

------------------

Shrink