Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Harry

Manipulating registry files

Anyone know of a way to edit/change the registry of a non-running XP installation ?

I have a dual boot system (normally XP1/XP2), and I refresh the XP2 partition fairly often. The XP2 is just an image of XP1 which I use for testing purposes etc. Before booting I'd however like to change some registry settings (especially the mounted devices setting, so that the drives show up correctly). Now I have to boot to XP2, change drive letter assigments, reboot, change some more drive letters etc. I figure there should be a way to fix the registry of XP2 before I boot there. Or is it impossible ?

H

The Registry is stored in a group of files in your C:\Windows\System32\Config folder (assuming that Windows XP is installed on C smile. The files with no extension (Default, Software, System, Sam, Security, Userdiff) contain the actual Registry entries.

There must be some software out there that can edit these files.

Quote:
There must be some software out there that can edit these files.

Yes, so I would think - but can someone name one ???

H.

So now you know where the files are, just copy them to a working XP installation. Obviously don't copy then to C:\Windows\Systm32\Config, but to another directory.

Start regedit and load the "hives", edit them, and then copy them back to the non-working XP.

wink