Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

Carmack speaks on Doom Leak

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=44077&cid=4591655

Quote:

No, this was not leaked on purpose.

Yes, we are upset about it, and it will have some impact on how we deal with some companies in the future, but nothing drastic is going to change in terms of what support is going to be available.

Making any judgements from a snapshot intended for a non-interactive demo is ill advised.

John Carmack

So...was it ATI or not?

Quote:
Quote:
Making any judgements from a snapshot intended for a non-interactive demo is ill advised.

John Carmack

laugh

How about making judgements based on both their past inability to make a half-decent game and a "snapshot intended for a non-interactive demo"

So Mr. Carmack, I ain't expecting miracles. I thought Doom3 was going to be mediocre even before this leak and now it's all but been confirmed.

Who cares, anyone that makes judgements about a game from a leaked alpha is a dumba$$ anyway. The leaked build of UT2003 ran OK, but the retail version ran a lot better with more features enabled. I expect the same to happen here.

meh... I haven't felt that this'll be a good game ever since I first heard about it. id haven't made a half-decent game since the original Doom and I hardly see them changing the habits of a lifetime any time soon. When the real demos start appearing on magazine cover discs I'll probably give it a try but won't pick up the full version until I can get it for about AUD$10 or so.

I got the leaked early alpha of Quake 3, ran like shit, but I could see the promise,

I definately see it here.

Aren't they all the bloody same?

FPS - Run around, kill a few things, use the same weapons but called by a different name.

Get bored so take the game online.

Get killed by the players who spend all day "mastering their keyboard/mouse or those that are lucky enough to have a great connection speed to the net.

Then get "ownzed" by somebody who has downloaded the latest cheat so they can see through walls, kill you from the otherside of the map or set fire to your cat.

Sorry, but like fighting games on the consoles, surely once you've seen and played one you've seen and played them all?

Attacks and threats to mine or my rabbits life accepted yet ignored smile

They're no more the same than any other game is similar to all the others in the same genre.

RTS, simulation, 'empire games'. They all follow each other fairly closely. They kind of have to to fit into the genre.

It's the extra bits that get bunged in that make it different. JK2 is essentially a FPS with lightsabres, yet you liked that game smile

Hey, that lightsaber was amazing, once i got that i dont think i ever used a gun again laugh

Doom III 'looks' pretty good, but wheres the interactivity frown i wanna give babes money and have them take there tops off 8) (Duke Nukem 3D :D) and shoot little boxes and make them explode, and flush toilets and get health, and shoot out lights and have the room get darker etc :P

Looks like quake 2 with bump mapping to me, but i dont doubt it will get rave reviews smile

Duke Nukem was the biggest pile of crap ever to come out for the PC. What a load of crap, complete and utter crap. I am just so pissed at 3D Realms, they are a bunch of worthless idiots who simply can't finish a game because of their inflated egos.

Anybody wanna take bets on when Duke Nukem Forever will come out? Frankly I couldn't care less when that game will come, they have pretty much alienated their fan base because of their stupid release date slogan "When its done."

I never thought id games were the best, but they are simply not the worst. The old Doom series was great. Even though Doom2 didn't jump over Doom in terms of new features, you cannot beat the game's longevity. They did some great with Raven on making Heretic and Hexen. Both games were landmark PC titles, Heretic finally took the FPS player off the ground (flying) and gave an inventory system to carry items. Hexen was the first game to introduce RPG elements and HUB style (go back and forth between levels) gameplay. Quake finally brought multiplayer gaming to the Internet, Quake 2 gave rise to OpenGL, and in fact Quake 2 was not as bad as most people think it is, I still find it to be a well designed single player game. Simple and effective. Quake 3 is a great deathmatching game. If you don't like DM then play something else. Quake 3 set out to be a great DM game and that is what it accomplished. Q3 is simply better than UT because I believe Q3 requires more skill since it has greater weapon balance. UT is just full of spam weapons. Their work on Return To Castle Wolfenstein was good, and the game is quite the memorable experience.

I believe Doom 3 will be good. When you look around the web people still make Quake/Quake2/Quake3/Doom/Doom2 levels and mods. People still play these games online everyday. Look at all the work going into making these games better, look at the Doomsday Engine project here, http://www.doomsdayhq.com or the Quake 2 Evolved project here, http://www.planetquake.com/blur or the Tenebrae Quake update here http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

If so many people still work on projects for these games, then obviously id did something right. Compared to other games, UT's online players are decreasing faster than Q3's. No one hardly plays Unreal online anymore and projects for it are less than even Doom. UT2003 has received lukewarm reception. No Ones Lives Forever 2 is amazing but will people still be talking much about 2 years from now? If Duke Nukem 3D was so good, what ever happened to that GL Duke port? How come a Win32 port of the game never came out?

Quote:
Then get "ownzed" by somebody who has downloaded the latest cheat so they can see through walls, kill you from the otherside of the map or set fire to your cat.

i hate it when they set fire to my cat! :P

that burned kitty smell just lingers... wink

:x

Quote:
and in fact Quake 2 was not as bad as most people think it is, I still find it to be a well designed single player game. Simple and effective.

Quake 2 was boring and the AI was lame. Typical id fare. I gave up playing the damn thing because there was absolutely nothing urging me to play on, all I was doing was running around in circles completing what id called "mission objectives." What a waste of time. Lucky for me I only played 10 bucks for it. Perhaps when Doom 3 hits the 10 buck bargain range I'll pick it up but not before.

Quake 2 was, shoot some dudes, find door, doors locked, shoot some more, find key, go back to door, open door and repeat smile

I did like it multiplayer though, really enjoyed that. smile

I liked the physics in Quake better than in Q2. They just seemed smoother and made more sense. Then again I'm also one of the few people that like the physics in Q3 and UT2003 as well.

Quote:
Quake 2 was, shoot some dudes, find door, doors locked, shoot some more, find key, go back to door, open door and repeat smile

I did like it multiplayer though, really enjoyed that. smile

Yeah some people like a different change of pace. Games are games, each one tries to be different, if every game was like Deus Ex (amazing game) or like Half-Life (alot of people liked it, I hated it) then games would just plain suck.

pmistry you talk shit.

Duke3D was just great! Was the best shooter (along blood). Id´s last nice game was doom2. All the quake games are just shit. The engine is great (see what other companies made of it- Half-Life) but the game is primitive in design.