Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hippey

Cannot log in with new users on my computer

Hi there,

I'm trying to create a user account on my system for games. However, when I try to log in, I don't get past that blue screen background default. It's like it doesn't want to load the Explorer shell at all.

Administrator (what I always use) and GUest work fine.. however, with guest my DSL connection won't work. I imagine I'd have to change the service or something by GUests don't have those priviliges..

so I wanted to make a power user, but whatever their type is, it won't load. I hear the window log on music but it just stays on the blue background screen.

anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance

Perhaps a few more details would help. Please provide:

1. What OS (Win2k, WinXP, etc)

2. What Service Pack Level (SP1, SP2, SP3 for win2k or SP1 for WinXP)

3. Any aditional changes (file permissions, disabled services, etc)

4. Some basic hardware info (speed of processor, size of hard drive, amount of memory)

With this info, we should be able to help you out. laugh

ahh.. my apologies

Win2k SP3

Default file permissions

Disabled services: Run AS service, print spooler, removable storage, RIP listener, task scheduler.

Some services that were set to automatic have been set to manual, but it is my understanding that if that service is needed, it WOULD start

ECS KTS5A

AMD XP 1700+

512MB PC2100

Geforce4 ti4200

40GB Seagate Baracuda

SB Live! Value

Are the new users profiles being created in the C:\Documents and Settings\ folder after you try logging them in? Are you able to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the task manager while sitting at the blank screen? If you are, go to the Processes tab and kill explorer.exe then go to the Applications Tab and click New Task. Type explorer.exe into the Create New Task box. This is basically forcing a shell reload