Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

98 Refuses to display webpages, Help!

(98SE on a Dell 233MHz Laptop)

This machine is on an office network with DSL. The DSL is spilt to 10 stations via a router. This laptop was working fine for a couple weeks. Then the user put Sprint ISP on there for when he was not at the office. After deciding to not use Sprint, the user uninstalls the software. Now I.E. will not display web pages, it just displays the "Server Not Found" error.

I am able to see the other computers on the network and even ping various domains i.e. www.yahoo.com with a successful response. I just cannot get any webpage to load!

Here's what I have tried:

(1) 2 Different NICs

(2) Static IP and DHCP settings

(3) Installing I.E. 6.0

(4) Scanned for Viri

(5) Ran Regclean

(6) Ran Internet Connection Wizard like 10 times

(7) Triple checked the IP addresses and DNS settings

(8) Did a little dance!

Nothing worked!!! Help me!

Check the IE settings and make sure that the 'Enable Proxy Server' isn't selected. Also, if your DSL line uses PPoE, you may need to reconfigure that.

Proxy isn't selected, and the DSL is not PPoE. Any computer can come in with just DHCP enabled and get internet instantly. This laptop won't do it with them set statically or DHCP!!!

I have also tried installing the latest I.E. 6.0 to no avail.

What about an automatic configuration script? I have seen a script called netsetter do this exact thing a number of times. The option is found just above proxy, but getting rid of it is a little harder. Do a google search and they will give you some good info about it. Usually if it is a script like netsetter, it will readd itself upon booting without intervention.

1. Run SFC to see if any system files got corrupted.

2. Reinstall / Update IE.

3. Uninstall and Reinstall you TCP/IP Stack.

Any possible firewall or 3rd part network applications still running on this old laptop? How are IE's security settings? Can you browse the web with other browsers?