Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

P133MHz & 128MB memory enough for a home router?

I thought about using this machine as a home router. There will be 3 pc's behind it; 2 surf the web quite frequently, & 1 will be a 24/7 Counter-Strike server. I thought about installing NT4 on it, but am tempted to use a Linux program found here that runs off the floppy drive & doesn't even need a hard disk.

Will using this machine slow down or hinder my other pc's "performance" (i.e., up/download speeds) on the 'Net? Shall I use a beefier machine instead?

Quote:
I thought about using this machine as a home router. There will be 3 pc's behind it; 2 surf the web quite frequently, & 1 will be a 24/7 Counter-Strike server. I thought about installing NT4 on it, but am tempted to use a Linux program found here that runs off the floppy drive & doesn't even need a hard disk.

Will using this machine slow down or hinder my other pc's "performance" (i.e., up/download speeds) on the 'Net? Shall I use a beefier machine instead?

Should work fine main thing I would recommend is the use of high end NIC's...If you ran a OS that let you check Cpu usage, such as win2k pro you would know for sure ..I would bet it would be fairly small.
The Floppysolution sounds efficient.

If your looking for a good free (GPL) and easy to install (well documented) firewall try Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org). It has a web based admin screen and is very easy to use. The firewall PC needs to be an Intel 486-compatible, Pentium, or higher (Pentium II, Pentium III)with a minimum of 16Mb of RAM. Download ISO is only 20MB.

Use smoothwall, and that machine would be overkill (in other words, go for it). Since smoothwall is made to *be* a firewall, it would be a better choice than setting up RRAS in NT or adding another app to NT to make it work.

Thx for the info people laugh I had already used smoothwall & its counterpart ipcop as well, but on more powerful machines (PII type pc's). I was just worried that this P133 may be a little overloaded running either smoothie or ipcop. That's why I looked at the "router on a floppy" solution from BBIAgent.

Has anyone had any experience with the BBIAgent router? I would like to know how it worked for you.