Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tuneS

Anyone having problems accessing "www.google.com"

I am having problems accessing "www.google.com" using IE 6 SP1 under WinXP PRo. I get some weird dutch website named "De Standart Online". Last week, for instance, I was getting a different site.

Is this related to the recent hacker attacks, or is this some marketing strategy related to MSN 8? Will Mozilla work?

Maybe I should buy a new keyboard smile Seriously, I suspect it is a problem related with cookies. I deleted them through Internet Options in Control Panel, and now the I get the "real" Google web page when I type the corresponding URL.

Try a different browser e.g. Opera or Netscape. Or try pinging. (type "ping www.google.com" at your command prompt and you should get something like this

C:\WINDOWS>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [216.239.37.101] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.37.101: bytes=32 time=233ms TTL=44

Ping statistics for 216.239.37.101:

Packets: Sent = 4, Recived = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Aproximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 233ms, Maksimum = 241ms, Average = 237ms

Or try just typing http://216.239.37.101/ in your adress bar.

Wow I'm amazed a hight traffic website like google doesn't have DOS attack protection like Microsoft:

C:\>ping www.microsoft.com

Pinging www.microsoft.akadns.net [207.46.230.220] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.230.220:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

, but then again neither does Yahoo.com so maybe Microsoft is just paranoid. I'm sure that protection comes a behavioral cost. For example they have lost the simplest way on earth to test response times, but they can afford really cool tools like Segue SilkPerformer.

-Christian

Quote:
Wow I'm amazed a hight traffic website like google doesn't have DOS attack protection like Microsoft:
C:\>ping www.microsoft.com

Pinging www.microsoft.akadns.net [207.46.230.220] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.230.220:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

, but then again neither does Yahoo.com so maybe Microsoft is just paranoid. I'm sure that protection comes a behavioral cost. For example they have lost the simplest way on earth to test response times, but they can afford really cool tools like Segue SilkPerformer.
-Christian

Maybe Microsoft is just paranoid laugh they have been major hacker target for years, no big secret there.

We don't allow anybody to send ping or traceroute to our public facing servers at work.

We certainly aren't a target for hackers and then like, but then again there is no reason TO allow such requests to be processed.

You want to ping something out on the Internet there are plenty of places you can do that at.

Yes I guess it's a sign of the times more than anything. We are all at the mercy of a bunch of technologically advanced angry twelve year-olds bent on world domination. laugh

-Christian

Well what windows are you runnin?,Cause i had a problem in windows 2000 with google becuase for some reason it just wouldn't go under 2000 for me.But i like xp myself

I'd just like to say Google work great for me under Windows 2000 SP3, w/ IE 5.5 SP2 and all the latest hotfixes.

Cheers,

Christian