Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NT.gamer

The Need For Speed under Windows 2000 SP3

Can I get the game "The Need For Speed" (DOS-Game :() work for me? I know it works fine under WinXP - so I hope it works under Win2k, too. ;(

Which video card do you own?

I've noticed that with Nvidia cards then VESA modes do not function as well under NT4/2K as well as they do under XP due to Microsoft enabling a bit more VESA access in XP.

ATI cards seem to be able to access all VESA modes fine in NT4/2K/XP with only mouse cursor access being a problem in NT4/2K in DOS games.

In the case of The Need For Speed if you have tried to run the game in a full screen NTVDM command prompt and you have executed TNFS.EXE and you just receive a blank screen and/or exit to the desktop then your only remedy is to use Connectix Viirtual PC (www.connectix.com) and play the game within that, play the game in real DOS, or play it in Windows XP.

The game works fine for me in NT4/2K/XP with my Radeon 9700 pro but as I have mentioned before with my GF3/4 it only works in XP.

frown doesn't work for me frown

I started the MS-DOS-Console in FullScreenMode, but after the starting tnfs.exe he jumps back to the command prompt frown

Quote:
Which video card do you own?

I've noticed that with Nvidia cards then VESA modes do not function as well under NT4/2K as well as they do under XP due to Microsoft enabling a bit more VESA access in XP.

ATI cards seem to be able to access all VESA modes fine in NT4/2K/XP with only mouse cursor access being a problem in NT4/2K in DOS games.

In the case of The Need For Speed if you have tried to run the game in a full screen NTVDM command prompt and you have executed TNFS.EXE and you just receive a blank screen and/or exit to the desktop then your only remedy is to use Connectix Viirtual PC (www.connectix.com) and play the game within that, play the game in real DOS, or play it in Windows XP.

The game works fine for me in NT4/2K/XP with my Radeon 9700 pro but as I have mentioned before with my GF3/4 it only works in XP.

I find the whole VESA thing with GF3/4s to be really strange considering my Riva TNT seems to have no problems hitting the higher VESA modes. I haven't done half the testing you have yet (the only tests I've done so far have been with Duke Nukem 3D and NOLFB.COM and I was able to go up to 1600x1200 with no problems) though so perhaps it'll come out the same when testing with other stuff. If I remember I'll look up the thread on VOGONS and grab all the test programs you mentioned and do more thorough testing.