Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gregor

problems with hardware (HDD?) when trying to install winxp

hi there,

i bought myself a new computer:

motherboard is gigabyte with KT400 and other fancy stuff. i also have hdd WD 120gb 7200rpm ata100.

when turning on the computer, it checks for some ata133 stuff and it tells nothing was found. that's okay,... but when i try to install windows xp it loads the controllers (asks me also for installing raid or scsi), then.. when it say that he wants to go into windows (installation) blue screen appears and it says that i should check hard drive for viruses or hard drive if i have any new disks.

can someone tell me what's wrong because i don't have a clue here!

i think some jumpers or bios settings arent good. in bios i also used that function to make all settings by default/safe configuraion, but it doesn't help

please please help me with this,

thanks

Gregor

Are the drive detected by the bios/boot screen?

If not then the drive isnt connected correctly or the jumper settings are wrong. frown

Try the drive on its own, with the jumper set to 'master' with it being the only thing on the cable, and see if the bios can find it then.

If it is found, and you still have the problem, go into the bios and disable UDMA for both primary/seconary channels. That should be in the bios under 'integrated perpherals' i beleve. smile

Ive had a few drive/board combos that didnt like DMA being enabled on windows install. frown (You can always re-enable it later after the pc is setup). smile

Which connector is the hard drive plugged into - IDE1/IDE2 or IDE3/IDE4

Do you know what HDD controller is installed on the board? If it's an IDE RAID controller, you may need to set up the hard drive in that before it will be recognised by the system.

Just a couple of other things to try.

AndyF

hi,

hard drive is detected by bios, but my dvd rom isn't. but i can anyways use it.

in bios there is a chance to use to autodetect, ata33 or ata 66/100/133. it was made on Auto, now i moved it to ata66/100/133 and it still doesn't work.

um.. help :'(

AUTO would have most likely selected 66/100/133 anyway frown Isnt there any options to disable DMA? It might say something about PIO mode, which is what you need.

no pio mode anywhere :'(

ideas? is there any trouble with HDD or jumpers or something?*

that getup should work straight out of the box with no mods or setting changes

the jumpers on the hd that say primary master/primary slave, secondary master yada yada.

shoulda been set to primary master at the factory. make sure it is and it's plugged into ide1

make sure none of the other devices are set to primary master.

u might need to check for a new mainboard bios update for 160gb HD's...not sure if u need to or not i know i had to update mine to support 160gb on my msi k7t turbo 2 board and thats only 6 months old....or try repartitioning the HD.

Is this a brand new HDD (never formatted or fdisked nefore)?

If not, get a 98 Bootdisk and fdisk and format it.

I have seen this before in a similar situation. ;(