Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcxman

HP Colour LaserJet 8550N & Win2K w/Macintosh Services...

Morning all.

I got a new one for you.

I recently purchased an HP Colour LaserJet 8550N and have it queuing to my Win2K Adv. Server with Macintosh Services enabled.

The printer is currently shared to all on my network and the PC's print to it transparently.

My problem is that my macintosh machine prints will only come out grayscale instead of colour.

Now I know what you're thinking, "he's got the configuration settings botched!" I've checked and rechecked the settings (which were maily default) and nada.

Right now the way the network is setup, the Printer talks to the Print Server using TCP/IP but the the Macintosh systems talk to the Print server through AppleTalk (Macintosh Services enabled on Win2K Print Server).

If I turn on the AppleTalk for the HP 8550N Printer the Macintoshes print through trasparently to the printer with full colour. As soon as I have it turned off and queuing through the Win2K Server it comes out grayscale again.

You're probably thinking it's the Print Servers fault. Well I have another older HP Colour LaserJet 8500N from the year before and when I connect to it with the exact same setup everything prints through transparently to the 8500N.

So I've nailed it down to the printer.

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advanced as always.

Perhaps the two laserjets have different ROM versions? I've seen other printer artifacts between two "identical" printers, only to find out later that the ROM versions were different. Normally the sticker tag with serial & model number will also contain ROM revision. Additionally, you should be able to tell the laser to print a status page that will include this information.

Other than this, really can't think of anything.

Thanks Wizard for the help. Sorry I wasn't able to reply earlier but I was in the middle of trying other solutions.

It was actually a Post Script driver issue. Apparently when if you plan on using Adobe apps they would like you to use their Generic Adobe Post Script driver for you printer.

That solved the issue. Stupid 7MB file off their site.

You think HP tech would be aware of this.

Oh well.

Thanks again.