Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cyn

PreFetch Directory gone, how do i RE-enable PreFetch

Well the other day I wanted to look at my prefetch directory and see if any programs had a profile there that I didn't want optimized, since there's a limit as to how many programs have prefetch data stored for them. Well I couldn't find the PreFetch directory. Somehow it became disabled. I checked a friends computer and his was there, I then deleted the files in it and they reappeared when we rebooted. I then downloaded Windows XP Prefetch Clean and Control program from majorgeeks and set it to Monitor Application and Boot File Launch (Windows Default). However after I rebooted I only saw 1 file in the PreFetch Directory:

NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf

Also I've rebooted several times and this file has not changed in size or date. Anyone know how to fix my PreFetch so it will once again monitor boot and application launches? When this occured I have no idea, but it may have been after SP1, I also have never meddled with the PreFetch other than cleaning out the directory from time to time.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]

"EnablePrefetcher"

1 = Boot time prefetch

2 = App Prefetch

3 = Both

3 is the default

Hope this helps

For Windows Xp Prefetch you need the following services set to automatic:

Every COM service relate.

Task scheduler (most unnespected form all the services).

For additional info you can see the follow page:

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

I expect it works for you, it work for me. wink

sorry for my bad english, is not my natural language