Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Jedi X

When fathers seek "adventure"...

Hi.

My father has a laptop with a 1600 MHz processor (can't tell whether it's AMD or Intel), 256 of RAM, an integrated sound card and a S3 superSavage video card. He is running Windows XP Home edition. He is going on a business trip soon, so he has given me the task to select and buy an adventure game that will keep him entertained. When he's not busy, that is. :P I have three games in mind:

Grim Fandago

The Escape from Monkey Island

The Longest Journey

I would like to know:

a) Which one you recommend and...

B) If any of you had any problems with any of these games (three anys in one sentence. Sick. :x )

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
(can't tell whether it's AMD or Intel)

;(

The system properties (right click My Computer -> Properties) doesn't tell you?

Anyway, the only 'real' adventure game I've ever played is Beneath a Steel Sky and while it was good (the first time through at least) it's DOS based and therefore will be hell to get running on that XP system (assuming you can even still find it of course). I've heard good things about nearly everything produced by LucasArts but I haven't actually played them so really can't be certain.

All three of those games are great choices, but if I have to put a preference to them, I would say first is Grim Fandago, then The Longest Journey, and then The Escape from Monkey Island.

It's been a while since I've played them, but I think they all work fine under XP...

Admiral LSD: Nope, it doesn't even say how many MHz it has. I found that out when I was browsing through the device manager.

Perhaps its a Home Edition quirk, my Pro system tells me that I have a Intel Pentium II processor running at 494Mhz.

Hmm... Home might still have the processor information key located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0\

The information won't make much sense (it's not stored in the format "Intel Pentium" but rather x86 Model x Family y Stepping z) but a Google search (particularly on the model family and stepping) should turn up some useful info.

Hey, Admiral LSD, I really appreciate your help, but quite frankly: Who cares about the processor? It works, that's all that matters laugh Besides, isn't this a bit off topic? (Sorry if any of this offends)

Getting scummvm from sourceforge and run the real funny adventures of lucasarts, Monkey Island 2, Sam and max hit the road, Maniac Mansion 2 and the uber super Indiana Jones and the Fate of atlantis? (most of them can be found in abandonware or the p2p programmes or in collections).

There are also The dig (a very similar game to B.DePalma's "Mission to Mars" movie) and Full throttle...

- Hpan

From your list, I'd choose Island and/or Journey, and to that I'd add any adventure game from Dreamcatcher Games. I also have WinXP, and had no problems at all with these games.

I'm prolly too late but I'd say Grim, if he likes comedy and Longest if he's a sci-fi/fantasy fan.

concidering he's getting you to pick it out I asume that he's relitively new to the genre, and monkey is a real "hardcore" adventure game.