Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

wierd networking problems

for some reason, when a 98 box is communicating (getting files and such) with my xp box, the NIC just dies, i have to reboot the XP box inorder to get it working again. 98 and XP boxes are all networked together and had worked up until now, they are all hooked up to the net via a router and switch. anybody have any ideas?

This is kinda the same prob i was having with my Nic in my xp box working some times and then not working.. bla bla bla.... the way i fixed it was i got a new cable from my xpbox to the router... also did you try to reinstall the nic?... or try a nother one in the xp box.. maby that went bad....

Masterfinn

well that's the thing, as long as no pc connects to it via lan, it won't break..i can get on the net and surf/download stuff all day long but as soon as a 98 box tries to connect to it, it stops responding

Got any hardware sharing an IRQ with it? Modems used to exhibit this behavior constantly when in the same machine as a NIC or a sound card that required multiple IRQs.

nope, only piece of hardware is the NIC and the Video card, it's my pc at work..it had been fine till recently. Both the NIC and the Switch are made by D-Link which is a pretty good company.

Have you replaced the NIC yet to verify it is not going bad?

If its an onboard I would just disable it and add in one just to see.

Only a thought.

I have had a few nics that would RIS ok, but then fail during file transfers after install. Replacing them solved the problem.