Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Qun Mang

A different sort of refresh rate problem...

Can anyone tell me how I can add resolutions with refresh rates lower than 60Hz to Win2000/XP? I can do it on Windows98, but if I add any resolution with a refreshrate lower than 60Hz to the registry, the system ignores it. In case you're wondering how this relates to games, it is MAME that I'm trying to set custom resolutions for. I added many resolutions (256x256, 256x240, 384x224, and so on) to the registry (using advv 6.1 to determine timings) but only the 60Hz modes (didn't add any higher than that) show up as usable. There is a MODES key in the Windows98 registry where you can set the refresh rates, but it is not in the 2000/XP registry- only the TIMINGS key is, which is where I added the custom resolutions. I tried adding this key, but it didn't have any effect. If I haven't lost you yet, then do you have any ideas? Thanks.

I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, but have a look in the forums over at: www.arcadecontrols.com

They have a specific video forum, and you'll likely find what you need in there smile

Thanks for your reply. I looked over there, but they seem to be more about arcade monitors than anything else when it comes to video. I'll try posting there, but I fear I will get pretty much the same help as I did at the MAME and MAME32 forums. I was hoping that a Windows 2000 forum could give me some advice, as this is really a Win2000 (and probably WinXP) question as opposed to a MAME question.

I think you'll need to force FPS not Hz... That will allow correct timing, at least that's how my NES/SNES/PSX emulators work...