Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Neo20

Firewall Problems

I am running Windows XP Pro with zonealarm pro for my firewall and im currently newtworked with another pc in the home and am having problems with my machine ( the firewall ) were it wont allow my other pc to accept files etc what can i do to fix this problem or can i remove zonealarm pro and put the internal firewall back on and configure it to allow both pc's to use the same connection and accept connections all at one time. As this is really pi$$ing me off ;(

Neo

I've not used ZA Pro, only the free version, & not had much networking experience, but I did have some fun & games with getting the free 1 to work when I had a mate's machine over here to sort out.

When you say ZA won't allow your other machine to accept files, do you mean that you're trying to access the firewalled machine from the other 1, or trying to send them to the other 1 from the firewalled 1? If you're trying to access the firewalled 1 from the other 1 then there's a couple of things you can try:

1. try accessing the firewalled 1 from the other 1, then on the firewalled 1 go into ZA'a log viewer & look for an entry corresponding to your other PC. Hopefully you'll have an entry with an IP that's something like 192.168.xxx.xxx [it's possible I could be remembering the numbers wrong - I tend to forget stuff if I've only done it once or twice smile ]. Anyway, my point is, you can right click on that entry in ZA's log where it says it's blocked it, & tell it to Add to Zone -> Trusted. That might solve your probs.

2. Goto the Firewall section in ZA, then the Zones tab. Click the Add button, then IP Range. When it asks you for the IPs to enter, for the start of the range take the 1st 3 sections of your other PC's IP address, & put a 0 on the end, & for the end of the range, do the same as the start, but make the 4th section 255.

Hope this helps.

The problem is that my machine isn't allowing the other pc to accept files from mirc icq etc users ive tried configuring the firewall which i have allowed the other pc to use all ports but it still says it aint allowing it for some unknown reason.

I realise this may sound like a crazy idea, but have you tried unsintalling ZA Pro, & trying the free version instead? A friend of mine had probs with the Pro v. as well.

I would try that but i don't trust the free version as i had alot of problems with it aswell if i could find a way of fixing the internal one for xp pro i would use it but till then no way im turning off ma firewall if ya get my drift lol.

Neo

What's wrong with the free 1? I have the latest v. & it's fine on my system.

I just havent liked it really after i updated to the second latest version of pro i like pro better thing is thought it's a pain i might go back to free version but dun know yet till i get really pissed off lol. Till then ohwell will have to try fixing it.

Neo

i had a lot of networking issues with zone alarm at work and at home.

so i got rid of it altogether.

it has an option where you could add trusted IP add. to access your computer. but i find it not working properly all the time. ;(

i think it is a problem with the program itself. i could never get it to work when it came to networking part!

;(

I decided to get rid of it when a hacker hacked into it and kept putting viruses on our main computer at work. ;( ZA couldn't stop the guy. he could change its settings. laugh i installed a router with firewall built into it and i never saw that guy again. shocked

Yeah i get what ya mean thing is though i have never had my pc without a firewall at first i had xp i used the internal one that gave me hell so i you know what that off and installed zonealarm pro it blocks people trying to netbios me etc which i like but the thing is about routers they cost a fortune so yeah that's out of the question for now untill i can afford it then yeah i will eventually get one.

Neo

Quote:
i had a lot of networking issues with zone alarm at work and at home.
so i got rid of it altogether.
it has an option where you could add trusted IP add. to access your computer. but i find it not working properly all the time. ;(
i think it is a problem with the program itself. i could never get it to work when it came to networking part!
;(
I decided to get rid of it when a hacker hacked into it and kept putting viruses on our main computer at work. ;( ZA couldn't stop the guy. he could change its settings. laugh i installed a router with firewall built into it and i never saw that guy again. shocked

thats what i was saying before... zonealarm can be hacked
i have yet to hack a norton system
(ethical hacking of company network)

Quote:
.... but the thing is about routers they cost a fortune so yeah that's out of the question for now untill i can afford it then yeah i will eventually get one.

Neo

There are routers that cost less than a $100 Canadian. (D-Link for example is $89 CAD) are they more expecsive over there?