Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Quake 2 Function Pointers Have Moved

Anybody get the function pointers have moved when trying to load a saved game of Quake 2 version 3.2. I get this in Windows XP but not any other OS. Tried using compatibility mode.

The same thing just happened to me with saved games from Quake II MP: The Reckoning. The only explanation I could find for this error message is that it typically comes up when Quake II has been patched to a higher version, thereby preventing games saved before application of the patch from loading. Unfortunately, this explanation does not seem to apply to me as I did not patch Quake II after saving the games. I am stumped and hope someone can help.

Yeah it happens under the Reckoning as well for me, but Ground Zero and Quake 2 are affected as well, it must be a problem with v3.2 or something.

hmm... I don't get that error and I'm pretty sure I have Q2 3.2. Then again, my copy of Q2 was patched shortly after it was installed and has only ever been run under XP so my save games never saw another OS or game version.

I've used pretty much every Microsoft OS and have played Quake 2 on them all, these are all clean installs. Under 9x or ME or 2000 Pro, I don't get this Quake 2 error. I can save a game fine and load a game fine too, if I try this in Windows XP I can save a game fine but when I try to load it, I get that function pointers have moved error. My Quake 2 CD is already v3.2 and it includes Q2 CTF as well.

Hi,

you could try q2ace from http://www.savageservers.com/q2ace/

It's an anti-cheat online version of q2 and is base on ID's release of their source updated to version 3.21

It has alot of modifications - some for stopping of online cheats and includes a fix for a mouse function change that MS inplememented in XP - so could have other fixes in place like for the problems your having.

It does work in single player for me and does work with my 3.20 saves but I didn't have any problems before.

Another try could be to delete (backup first) your config files (autoexec.cfg and config.cfg) - You will need to reconfig vid sound and keys etc and it will rebuild config.cfg on exit.

Hope this helps

SS!

I'm sorry to say none of the above worked for me. Quickloading and loading saved games is possible, though. You have to quit the game first and then immediately hit F9 (or F3) when the game starts loading. Don't wait too long. It's a pain in the neck but it sure adds some spice. It's such a bother you just go ahead never mind what.

I've had Quake 2 for years, never had any problems. Last time I played it was last summer, summer 2004. No problems with Ground Zero or 3.20 full patch whatsoever, ever...Then I tried it yesterday and no loading. Server Initialiation causes Function points moved message. If there are no AIs around or they are passive, sometimes quickloading works. Usually not. Argh. Could new DirectX drivers have caused the problem? Or Windows XP updates? That's about the only thing that's changed for me (Revenge of the Doom 3 hehe?)

Cheers,

orolume