Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

Reconnecting Drives at BootUp - Weird Behavior

This problem affects a total of 5 computers. One machine is running Windows 2k Server; the other 4 are all running Windows XP Professional.

The Win2k machine is a storage machine - it's harddrives are shared so the other 4 machines can store data in it. Obviously, the other 4 machines have the Win2k computer mapped for easier access. All the Windows Xp machines have "Simple File Sharing" enabled.

Here is the problem:

When the WinXP machines boot up, a tooltip window appears in the Tray annoucing that the network drives failed to reconnect. Opening "My Computer" or Windows Explorer shows these drives with the famous "RED X" indicating they are not connected, but when I click on one of the supposedly disconnected drives, I can access it without any trouble at all. The drives are always availbale to all 4 WinXP machines - I can read and write to them without a single error. So, why is WinXP under the inpression that these drives failed to connect when they obviously did not?

Any ideas?

Thanks

This happened to me too, quite often... but the problem went away after installing XP SP1. *shrug*

--Alexander

Check on your server under the configuration of your nic, make sure under the power management the box next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is unchecked. Otherwise it wont listen until you double click the drive.