Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Immortal

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ & 2800+ with 333FSB

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Hi all,

Just to say there has been a release date on the AthlonXP 2700+ and 2800+ along with the long awaited 333Mhz FSB which gives them possiblities of much higher clock speeds!

Read the news here!

Good for me. Cause my next P4 will be cheaper now.

I think its a great move, on AMD's part to open up the bandwidth a little to help keep up with Rambus systems.

Look forward to some benchmarks

No, I wont, at least not at near future. 333MHZ FSB means 166MHZ physical frequency for the host system; and the industry is not yet prepared for that, since INTEL has just got their 133MHZ host system out on 845PE and 845G. The problem of stability looming on an unprepared industry, that AMD knows and so reluctant to kick out their 333MHZ part wink

Im not buying an AMD CPU until they sort out there motherboards, i dont care how fast they are, if you cant get a stable system then whats the point.

Probably makes me look like a 'newbie' so say something like that, but i gave companies like via a chance and tried everything possible to get a stable system on a number of there boards with little success.

Anyway, i saw in a few benchies that 166fsb only makes 5%-6% difference in real world performance anyway.

My P4 rides 150MHz already, and it's quad-pimped (yeah, I meant "pimped" biznitch ;)) so I don't worry about what they are putting out. Besides, my newly purchased UT2003 runs amazing on my box at 1024x768@32bit, but that's another story...

laugh

Quote:
Im not buying an AMD CPU until they sort out there motherboards, i dont care how fast they are, if you cant get a stable system then whats the point.

Since when has AMD made motherboards available for public purchase?:D
Chipset wise, the nForce 2 preliminary results show it laying the smack down on Via's KT400. In terms of stability and speed, nForce 1 is the best platform for the Athlon. Save, possibly, AMD's own 760 (and it's variants) chipset, it is the best thing on the market for AMD to ride with.
AMD's biggest Achilles heel is the chipsets available. I personally haven't had problems with Via, but I can buy an nForce board with just about everything I want on it and doesn't suck for less than what a similar Via based board runs. nForce boards are a lot cheaper than the Via powered boards like the Soyo Dragon KT333 Platinum and Abit AT7-Max. People are too concerned with overclocking---which is fun---but should not be the only goal in computing. Being a geek can be expensive.
I know I went off on a tangent, but I really believe that if the nForce 2 can hit it off big in the AMD sector, it could help convert some Intel guys to the dark side of the force.;) AMD isn't nearly as large as Intel and thus cannot pump out the number of chipsets Intel can. A 3rd party chipset that does leave a bad taste in people's mouths is what they really need---and you probably know what I think.

I must say tho, SIS has recently slowed down its Socket A chipsets release, but has increased its P4 chipsets release. via has done the exact opposite.

Something maybe going on...Via may have handed the P4 market over to SIS, and SIS give the socket A market to VIA.

Afterall, imy friend has had hisVIA board running for 24 hours for 2 weeks, and not a single crash or lockup has occured!

I think via are doing something right for once..

I'm going to go with the Asus KT-333WR. Onboard Raid, Firewire, Usb 2.0, Digital Audio, DDR 333. Can't go wrong. wink

I am impressed with Asus's latest line of boards, including the P4T series, the P4B series... Seems like high quality. I have an P4B533-E, excellent board.