Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Apoptosis

New Nvidia Drivers 3.65

If changing your video drivers is your thing:

http://www.clanworld.org/download/fileinfo.asp?fileid=1004

Now that I have got your ear. I just wanted to say a thing about the "Win2k sucks" debate.

First, I am a programmer and I know why we don't support a beta os. It is EXPENSIVE! It is hard enough to make software that works on one os correctly. Now try supporting a OS that changes on a month to month basis. Also, customer support doubles every os you support, and CS is really expensive. As cheap as it is for software, and as expensive it is to hire programmers. It is a real strain on a company to support multiple OS. Just wait and see the support fly when it is Final though.

Also, Win2k doesn't suck. Even If though I can't run every peice of software/hardware I have, I would not go back to 98. I tried that once when I was on my "Win2k sucks" kick. It was not pretty. Win2k in its Beta 2 form was the best OS microsoft has put out.

I still don't understand the linux movement, or the BeOS movement.

Apoptosis

So.. I DL'ed the win2k-geforce-365.zip file and wonders.. is it GEFORCE only?

Checked the readme and it says all is supported, but I'm not sure I can trust it.

Anyone tested it with a tnt2?

Do you need RC3? (I still got RC2, since I'm to lazy to upgrade wink.gif )

[This message has been edited by Draken (edited 12 December 1999).]

Quote:

First, I am a programmer and I know why we don't support a beta os. It is EXPENSIVE! It is hard enough to make software that works on one os correctly. Now try supporting a OS that changes on a month to month basis. Also, customer support doubles every os you support, and CS is really expensive. As cheap as it is for software, and as expensive it is to hire programmers. It is a real strain on a company to support multiple OS.

It all depends what you mean by support.

As a developer, I take pride in all my s/w being able to run properly. To this end, I re-work and test all my s/w under the new betas of whatever OS I intend supporting.

Anything that I release for a non-gold OS is without support - which means you can't phone me up and say "This doesn't work, you owe me a working version, make it work."

It does mean "Here, try this, and if it fscks up, mail this address. Don't expect a response."

This is the attitude I take - and is what I expect from others - when I'm involved in a beta program.

What I don't expect - and what I do get from Creative Labs and Matrox and others - is "We won't do drivers 'til it's gold."

This attitude pisses all over those of us who try to make things work. I would exhort Ms to deny beta stqatus to those who whold this state of mind, but . . .

rant off

back to the driver topic.... ive been away from win2k for a little while. installing rc3 soon. i have the 3.56 ogl working drivers from chameleons site. are these new 3.65 any better? and as was asked up above, r they gf256 only or like the previous any tnt based card?

Running RC2194 Diamond TNT2 16mg ( At least I admit it!!!) Detonator 3.53 Q3 runs fine no complaints here. All the others 3.52, 3.55, 3.56, 3.65 don't work I get the occasional freezes.

Im running RC3 and Im using the detonator 3.56 drivers and it runs fine in UT. I havent tried Q3a yet.

Hello,

I got my TNT2 to work on my system. I'm using the Detonator drivers version 3.55 and when I want to load up any game (examples: Fifa 2000, GTA 2, Quake 2, Rainbow 6, AOE 2). Win2k will report that the game has errors and will genarate a Dr. Watson report saying what went wrong. I'm currently using Win2k Build 2183 (RC3). Anyone know a solution to this problem?

"3.56 working" from chamelon's win2kbox.

Win2k RC 2183

Works with UT, Q3A and AvP.

Awx

Here are the instructions off the Nvidia website about installing 3.65

Sometimes it is necessary to boot into safe mode and delete old drivers to get Release 3 to work properly.

Reboot into Safe Mode

Right click on My Computer

Select Properties

Select Device Manager

Delete all entries under Display Adapters

Go to registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Software

Delete NVIDIA Corporation folder

Reboot

Install new drivers

Install only on 2183 and 2169. It doesn't say anything about 2194, but these came out before then. I hope this helps anyone having trouble

Never underestimate the power of clean install :-)

I´v been running W2K for about a year now. OpenGL and D3D have been a problem on my dual PII almost all the time. I´v upgraded my PC with every interim build and RC´s, and I´v tried every driver for my CL TNT. The only driver that worked perfect was Nvidia 2.08... After upgrading to Geforce 256 once again the OpenGL support was broken. Tried all versions av reference drivers but none worked... Formatted my disks and reinstalled W2K 2194 pro - used Nvidia 3.65 and everythin worked perfectly!

So - to all of you folks out there - try a clean install if the newest drivers don´t work :-)

Lasse

Just for fun, I've installed 3.65 drivers : worked perfectly under 2183 and 2195 (2195 TNT drivers do not work).

So I keep the 3.65 one.

Drivers worked with Q3A and UT in full screen and windowed mode.

Awax

PS : clean install of rc2 upgraded to rc2 then to rc3 2183 then finaly to 2195

PPS : drivers updated to 3.65 before upgrading to 2195, but after upgrading, games didn't work, so upgraded drivers directly from display proprerties and it was perfect.