Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anusoni

Visual Basic Programming Site

Hey PEOPLE, I am a student doing Visual Basic in great detail, and i am building a site called shareyourcode.freeservers.com and i need partners to help me build this site, no money, free site on a free server, basically to post Visual basic and other languages source code and to put up tutorials and stuff for every language that we can.. i want anybody in programming to please help me out if anybody is interested in helping me make such a site or any other site for that matter dealing with anything please email me at anusoni@myrealbox.com

No offense, but there's already tons of sights that do what you describe for Visual Basic. If you want to make a website why not fill niche? If you want to contribute code why not write a tutorial?

PlanetSourceCode already has tons and tons of source code for you guesed it, tons and tons of languages. If you want tutorials just ask jeeves and I'm sure he can list 10 or more good VB tutorials.

All the same good luck with whatever you make and whatever you decide to do,

Christian Blackburn

hey man thanx for the reply, well could you tell me some interesting project to undertake, see, i am in 2nd year of BSc in Internet Sciences and well I need some project to keep me occupied. Just throw me some ideas will you please. Thanx Anyway

The first app that many people write is one that tracks their music/movie collection(s). Atreyu wrote one a while ago that used an access db as the back end and ASP/JavaScript for the front end. I myself wrote an ASP app to query IIS logs in my SQL Server db. In place of ASP/JavaScript, you could do something similar with a VB/VB.NET front end. However, if you are actually learning a language, I would recommend that you move away from that and go to something with a future, like any of the .NET languages or Java (even C++ as that is going to be around for a while to come).

How about a website that tracks people's health habbits and their diseases? It could statistically graph what habbits create what actions create which outcomes. You could even get donations and or be a charitable organization. The most important thing would be to find a reasonable means for making sure people aren't making up names and phone numbers. However come to think of it that's not really an issue either, because if you have data on 100,000 people. You could just call 100 or 500 of them and if 10 percent were fake then you could presume that your data was 90% accurate at best and you'd throw out the highest and lowest 5 percent for each graph. Well anyways let me know what you think?

hey man, thats a great idea about this health tracking site, but gimme break man, this is my first every project i've taken at hand here(i am only a student), i don't just need ideas, i need people to help me build it too....think anyone can do that...you know the idea of people around the globe never actually meeting and making a site that rocks, sounds very very intersting, not to mention the amount of knowledge sharing that could bring..anyways great idea, let me see how to go about it..in the mean time, if anyone is willing to help please respond in this forum or mail me at anusoni@myrealbox.com

I thought the video and Cd library was a great idea. You could have data records on all the movies. You could have linked tables, linking your favorite actors to your films. You could also have pictures of each film. Your DB could track who you've loaned what video to. This could have accounts so that everyone could keep track of, and manage their video collection.

if you want something really simple why not just create a page listing links from your site and have a hidden page to manage your links.

For example: you could have a page display links and sort by categories, date created, and be able to add new categories on the management pages. It could be searchable too.

Lots of luck. ASP is fun. You'll like it,

Christian