Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Ok best anti-virus for WinXP?

Fist of all, thank you, adamvjackson, for your question! I should say i am not an official antivirus tester, meaning that i am not getting payed to do such tests for the rest of my life, like some people i know do. Secondly, i, too, bought Norton as my first antivirus program and saw how shitty it is once i i started dealing with viruses. I am one of the best virus collectors on earth, and i have strong reasons to KNOW that i do have a larger and BETTER collection than MANY antivirus companies at the moment. The reason that i am telling all this is to help you make a better selection about which antivirus should you choose for your home and your work; either one it doesn't matter really, it's your data you are protecting.

You ask about my recommendations .. i always recommend the best program at the moment, and that you may see in the results of my test. Many may say "bug off, mate, you're full of shit", well, as i said before, it's your money, i don't test programs for a living, and i don't really care how many will get their hard disk formated by a stupid virus in-the-wild!

As for my new test, i am making on behalf of a well-known english computer magazine and i cannot publish the results till 2 months from now. But, this much i can say : the results AIN'T THAT DIFFERENT than the ones you may read at my website, www.virus.gr, which is also translated into english for all of you that have and want to spend some time to learn and protect their computers against viruses.

Pardon my english, i am only a greek virus collector, and i didn't get what you mean by saying "I would recommend, depending on how extensive your testing is, that you have 2 different classes per-say; One for 'home' and one for 'corporations'."

Regards

VirusP

Let me clairify what I meant: most home users do not run Norton AntiVirus 7.6/8.0 Corporate Edition as this is geared for a domain environment, same said for McAfee NetShield/ePolicy Orchestrator; And also most domain controllers do not run AVG antivirus. This is what I meant by breaking the tests down to 'home' and 'corporate' editions. Also, if you were going to go that far in the testing, you may wish to include the server side updates and the software's ability to push updates. With regards to your test results, they look very interesting... When I get home from work, I will review these more thoroughly.

Ok, i agree. But the fact remains; how can a good/bad program get any better/worse in different environments? You speak of domain, i speak of quality. Personally, if i were an administrator, i'd probably have a word with a salesman of every GOOD program to see whether they do have such a version in the first place and then make up my mind. But Norton Corporate does have the same engine installed and cannot be better than the one tested here in Win98sSE environment. Same gos for the rest of the programs of course. And if you really wanna talk for domain versions, F-Secure, which is #1 if you see the results of the test, has one HELL of a domain version smile

Thanks again for your interest.

have you guys tried Panda Titanium? I love it catches all email viruses before even get to my inbox

Quote:
Ok, i agree. But the fact remains; how can a good/bad program get any better/worse in different environments? You speak of domain, i speak of quality. Personally, if i were an administrator, i'd probably have a word with a salesman of every GOOD program to see whether they do have such a version in the first place and then make up my mind. But Norton Corporate does have the same engine installed and cannot be better than the one tested here in Win98sSE environment. Same gos for the rest of the programs of course. And if you really wanna talk for domain versions, F-Secure, which is #1 if you see the results of the test, has one HELL of a domain version smile

Talk to a salesman? LOL! I'd MUCH rather talk to other System Admins on their AV solution than a salesman. laugh I'm gonna laugh about this one all day.....

Quote:
Quote:

Talk to a salesman? LOL! I'd MUCH rather talk to other System Admins on their AV solution than a salesman. laugh I'm gonna laugh about this one all day.....

Hehe ... so i suppose you buy the product first and then take all the blame from the manager of your company, who may even fire your a$$ for all that i know, if the antivirus scre#s up? laugh Talking to other sysadmins is a good thinking but you cannot blame them if something goes wrong pal ... Instead you can always get a refund from the salesman wink

Nope. I test the products. I ask around. I NEVER talk to sales people. I then send my quotes to my boss. Works pretty effectively over here on a network of 500+ local users for the last 4 years running NAV CE. smile

PR-Man, the answer you're after is yes, I use Panda Titanium, and I absolutely bloody love it.

After Norton 2002 missed the ONLY virus i have ever had on my machine in four years, and then Symantec "losing" my one year subscription after a reinstallation and my "complimentary" 3 months free updates being used up again (what a bunch of skinflints!) I am very happy to be using Panda and be free of those Symantec schmucks forever.

If your experience of ANY anti-virus is good, then fair play to you, but I will NEVER, ever resort to Norton again.

Chalk up a happy Panda user here. It even catches virii still in memory. And phone support, considering most users haven't got a clue what to do with an "infected" file once they get one, and Norton seems to insist you delete it anyway...well.

Course, i'm yet to download anything nasty...

(That isn't an invitation BTW.)

In concession, the myth of "resource hogging" Norton isn't true - by comparison, they're all pretty much the same. I WILL say that in their defence. Won't touch McAfee though. With a bargepole. Long, long story...

Cheers