Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandstorm

Upgrading Win2K from different language OS

I have the french language version of Win98 installed on my computer and when I tried upgrading to an english version of Win2K it said that it couldn't since it was of a different language. Is there any way of going around this? And I don't want to have to format and then install.

well, u don't want to format, but i would highly suggets it if you can!

as upgrading from a 9x to an NT kernal to me would not be smart and could cause ALOT of problems down the road.

have u check out MS's support?

Perhahps there is a reg key u can change to make 2k think it is an english version.

Just found this thread from Google. I'm having the same problems with Japanese 98, but reformatting is DEFINATELY not an option. What I'm really trying to do is just get some files off an old Sharp Japanese laptop with Jap Win98 on it. No LAN card on it at all. I tried to install a USB network card on it, but I can't read the Kanji... So, I can't get on to the wireless network either...(which would be the ideal option). I think having an English OS would help with the networking issues I'm having. So...any way I can do it? Or, does anyone else have any suggestions? I'm going crazy!

Instead of installing select a New install, and specify c:\winnt as the location (rather than c:\windows), the files should still be visible and available afterwards. Obviously none of the programs or settings from 98 would apply but at least its usable...