Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kgeissler

VNC problem

Ok, I am trying to use VNC with my web browser. If I try to connect to my box internally using my 192.168.0.1 IP address and the correct port, I can pull up VNC in my web browser, connect and everything works great.

If I try to use the IP address from my ISP, it will connect, but after I type in my password, it says "socket read failed".

Anyone have any ideas why I can connect internaly, but not externally? I turned off my firewall and it still cant connect.

TIA

Are you passing both ports?

Taken from http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q53

"A VNC server listens on two ports. The exact port numbers depend on the VNC display number, because a single machine may run multiple servers. The most important one is 59xx, where xx is the display number. The VNC protocol itself runs over this port. So for most PC servers, the port will be 5900, because they use display 0 by default.

In addition, VNC servers normally have a small and very restricted web server built in, which allows you to connect a browser to them and use the Java viewer. This runs on port 58xx. Note that this is the HTTP port used for downloading pages and applets, but once the applet is running it uses 59xx for VNC just like any other viewer."

Good luck.