Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

Media Player 6.4 Codecs

Where do i download the complete collection of codecs for MS Media Player 6.4 ???

Sometimes when veiwing different video formats the player has to link into www.microsoft.com to download a particular codec. This is almost allways unsucessfull on my dialup connection frown so where can i download the whole package of codecs for the Best MS player that is ver. 6.4 ???

http://download.microsoft.com/download/winmediatech40/Install/8.0/WIN98Me/EN-US/wmpcdcs8.exe

This was "I feel lucky" hit on google searching for "microsoft codecs".

I don't know if there are all codecs here, there are at least all of the

microsoft ones. If you're looking for others like divx and stuff there

is a reasonable doubt that microsoft will ever support it since it develops

it's own standards for almost everything.

If this is what you're looking for I'm surprised that you couldn't find it

yourself (I know the search engone on the microsoft's site sucks big time).

Otherwise I haven't heard of any other codec packages.

Thanks guys,

Yeah Tomay, i had allready found that site smile

But it is for MS Media Player 8.0 also it has win98me in the url.

So i didn't think that it would work for Media player 6.4 for Win2K.

The other Link is Windows Media9, isn't that beta stuff? ;(

But if you guys say so i'll give it a shot, I've just done a driveimage, so i got nothing to loose!

I know i could simply install MS Media Player 7, 8 or 9beta. There's just to much woffle in the later versions, 6.4 works fine, i does everything i need (play music videos (mpegs & avi's)). I use other programs (Which are 10x better) for playing MP3's and extracting music from my CD's, and making playlists and compilations.

I got the latest verion of DivX and i installed Quicktime 5, so i should probably manage, though thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers. smile[/b]

The URL I posted leads to the same file, but if the file's URL changes in the future, my URL will probably still work -- that's why I posted it in addition to Tomay's.

The file contains WMV7, WMV8, WMA, and MS-MPEG4 (ASF) codecs. Sure, WMV(7|8) is delivered with Media Player (7|8) as well, but this package contains the codec only.

By the way, even if you install Media Player 7, or 8 (or 9 Beta), you can still use Media Player 6.4 by running "mplayer2.exe" manually. And you can even re-associate the file types with 6.4 in the View->Options->Formats menu.

Quote:

By the way, even if you install Media Player 7, or 8 (or 9 Beta), you can still use Media Player 6.4 by running "mplayer2.exe" manually. And you can even re-associate the file types with 6.4 in the View->Options->Formats menu.

kewl... smile