Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoosMan

Can cable and DSL co-exist?

If I have both cable and DSL internet service is it possible to set up a download stream that combines the two bandwidths? If not what is the best possible way for these two internet services to co-exist.

I believe you'll need a special router to merge the bandwidth. I've heard of it being done with two cable accounds, and two dsl accounts... In thoery it should work with 1 cable/1 dsl, but in actuality, I'm not sure. Let me look for a bit and I'll try to find you a router that will do just that.

that sounds like a cool little do-hickey. let me know smile and if you know of another way also.

thanks

.~j0Os~.

Ok, I found a router that will do that, and more... However, it is fairly expensive, About $399 US, as listed on the manufacturer's web site. The Nexland Pro800Turbo. http://www.nexland.com/turbo.cfm?AID=9335969&PID=678364 Again, FYI, I have not personally used this router, nor do I know anyone who has. This seems to be a fairly well equipped router that I think may meet your needs. I would suggest that you try to read some hardware reviews before you decide to make any purchases. If I happen across any more info, I'll be sure to post. Good luck.

Looks like that could be the best way to manage them at the moment...boy i wish there was a way to merge the two into one super connection though! smile

thanks

.~j0Os~.

Well it sounds to me like it can take a program like download accelertor which will chop a download into 2 parts....then assign a part to each connection, but you need the software, which is why the software is advertised on their site. it doesnt sound like that capability is built in. and even if it was that still is quite the merge i was looking for, but close smile

.~j0Os~.

I believe you can do it if you have 2 nic cards. One each going to thier repective connection. THen you bridge the connections in your network properties.

You'll need a 3rd Nic to go to a router or hub to share the connection with other lan users

Read the reviews on the router, as I am pretty sure it will multilink the connections as well as support failover.

Clutch, based upon hardware quality, and effectiveness of the solution, what do you think would be a better solution:

1. A hardware router, such as the unit listed above

2. A dedicated linux box, with 3 nics, bridging the 2 nics, and routing the third? Also, if you suggest this route, what linux distro/software would you use?

Thanks for your input.

A dedicated hardware solution is *almost* always better than using an OS with an application to do the task. The Linux box will have multiple points of failure (the OS itself, the firewall app, drivers, other applications installed by default, misconfiguration of either the OS or the app, etc.) while the hardware solution simply has the firmware that is the OS and app in one ball of wax that can be configured and upgraded via one interface all at once without fear of an OS upgrade screwing the app and vice versa. Plus, the device will be specifically tuned for this one task out of the box while the OS/App config has to be setup and maintained, which can be a headache for many.

Excellent reasoning, I would have to agree with you. Slightly off topic, but I absolutely hate my router... Linksys BEFSR41... this is the second one I've had, the first went belly-up after about 4 months. Anyway, I have to reboot/reset every 2-3 days or else my internet connection is lost, at times it will intermittently disconnect me from the remainder of the network... LOL it's a piece of work, that's for sure. From what I've heard, this is not uncommon with the mentioned Linksys router. So... I've updated firmware, to no resolve. I think in a month or two I am going to replace it with a Netgear RO318 router. Very nicely equipped, and I didn't find an extreme amount of bad reviews. Any opinions on that router?

I actually like that Linksys you have, and I have recommended those to many people. Bummer that yours didn't work out for you. As for the Netgear, at one time they were using both telnet and HTML mgmt options but I think they are now using a single HTML interface. If that's the case, then I would give that a shot. Also, check out www.linklogger.com for a logging utility that I think will work with it. I use it on my home network, and it's pretty nice.

Well, my first router never had any problems (same model), so perhaps I'll try to get a RMA from Linksys, and keep the new/reman router as a spare. One thing I've learned is keep spare hardware, you never know when it will fail.

Quote:
Quote:
Excellent reasoning, I would have to agree with you. Slightly off topic, but I absolutely hate my router... Linksys BEFSR41... this is the second one I've had, the first went belly-up after about 4 months. Anyway, I have to reboot/reset every 2-3 days or else my internet connection is lost, at times it will intermittently disconnect me from the remainder of the network... LOL it's a piece of work, that's for sure. From what I've heard, this is not uncommon with the mentioned Linksys router. So... I've updated firmware, to no resolve. I think in a month or two I am going to replace it with a Netgear RO318 router. Very nicely equipped, and I didn't find an extreme amount of bad reviews. Any opinions on that router?

I have the exact same one for 2-3 years now, never a problem!

* Odd!

smile

APK

I too have the same router from linksys. Every once in a while I can't connect to the web and it work the night before. I hit reset and it seemed to work.

Quote:
...boy i wish there was a way to merge the two into one super connection though! smile
No, I have experience with this unit, and it does not actually merge the 2 connections into one. Using this unit with 1 or even 2 clients will not gain you a single thing, other than failover as Clutch said. But using this unit with multiple clients is what it's designed for, similar to Cisco's Fast Ether Channel technology.