Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Iceburg

Overclock?

I have an intel 850 board with an intel 1.5 Ghz processer and there are no overclocking options in the bios, does this mean that it can not be done?

-Nick

Do you have a Genuine Intel motherboard? Then yes. After all, it wouldn't be good for a company who wants you to buy it's ridiculously overpriced newer chips to be promoting that overclocking it's cheaper (but stil ridiculously overpriced) older ones offers better value for money now, would it?

THere are two very good reasons why genuine Intel motherboards do not offer overclocking options.

1. Intel motherboards are industry regarded as some of the most stable motherboards available - they simply never fail.

This is because everything is kept within specification.

2. Intel chips and chipsets are designed to run at certain speeds.

By overclocking a chipset or CPU you are invali[censored] the warranty on both.

If somebody returns an Intel motherboard Intel like to know if it's a failure on their part of bloody stupidity on the users.

Removing the ability to overclock rules out the second option.

I really wouldn't bother trying any hacks that might enable you to overclock your CPU.

I have an Intel 850 board, and although I would like the option of overclocking, I prefer the rock solid stability that this board gives me.

That's not to say that overclocking will cause your machine to become unstable (if you do it sensibly), but Intel boards are very much like the nVidia reference video cards. They work, they do what is expected of them, but performance is very mediocre. Third party boards offer much better performance, and generally have extra features.

Consider the Intel boards to be a 'here you go other manufacturers, this is a board that works, so you can see how to build your own' affair.

Enough rambling, the upshot is that you will need to replace the mobo if you want to overclock.