Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sm0k3y

Locking out users from installing

What app can i use or how can i stop users from installing applications on there machines. I want them to be denied access to installing ANYTHING unless they have admin privelges (sp?) the clients are all using Win2k and WinXP thanks. laugh

You can actually allow in Windows XP only for Administrators to install programs uninstall programs etc you can do this by only allowing limited which basically gives access to programs that are installed allready and unless there a computer admin they can't install or unintall programs.

Goto Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Click On A Users Username ( Or Nick ) -> Click On Change the Account Type -> Then Up The Top Click On Limited. This will only allow certain privlages to programs files etc. perfect for pc's that are used all the time and only want admin to change system settings etc. I run XP Pro and it's the best OS ive used.

Have fun

Neo

Trouble is, giving users Limited (MS's bullshit name for accounts in the "Users" group) rights also screws over a lot of other programs. They may have fixed it in later versions but back when I ran 2000 Pro I had lots of trouble getting stuff like Acrobat Reader and Paint Shop Pro to properly register themselves under different user accounts until they were given at least Power User (a group which MS's bullshit "Add User" wizard doesn't even let you assign. This is why I do all my account manipulation in the Computer Management console under both 2000 Pro and XP Pro) priveliges.

i must say that yes windows 2000 was a pain in the ass that's why i updated to xp because it runs better and has better security for users accounts ive had no probs with XP and lettin limited access to users ( like family hehe lol ).

Neo