Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoosMan

Possible to have a networked cd-rom?

I was wondering if it is possible to share a cd-rom drive over a network and make the computers that it is shared to see it as a true cd-rom drive. I know that you can map to the cd-rom so that it has a specified drive letter but then it is just seen as a normal networked drive. so in effect i want to make it so if i put a cd in server A, then workstations B, C, and D will have the "auto run" from the cd pop up. i have a feeling this is imposible but it would sure be cool.

thanks guys

.~j0Os~.

Well what I guess I meant is this....lets say you have a problem with winxp on Workstation B and the OS says you have to insert the windows cd to fix it. is there any way that i can insert the cd in server A so that workstation B will recognize there is a cd in server A thus it will start extraction from the cd. kinda haed to put into words smile

thanks

.~j0Os~.

I have already mapped the drive so it will network normally but it loses all the properties of being a cd-rom drive over the network. this isnt what i want. i want it to be seen as an actual cd-rom drive over the network. if there is a program to do this it would be great or a native windows solution would be better. but i dont want to use one of those virtual cd-rom apps that makes an image of the cd on a computer.

I have an idea but have no clue on how to do it. Is there maybe a config file in windows that i can alter where maybe it says something like

"cd-rom=x" where x is the drive letter? i can then edit it to the name of the mapped drive. do you guys think this would work? if so what file would i need to edit?

thanks

.~j0Os~.