Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rocket

GLQuake under winXP

Hello, i'm new here if you haven't noticed. I have a problem. Or major problem to me, I cannot get my GLQuake to run under windowsXP. It starts up, the console comes up (which takes about 30 seconds) and it gets about .11111111111 frames a second. I have tried up[censored] drivers for it, but no luck. I am running a geforce 2 MX AGP, and winXP build 2600. I refuse to play in poo-poo software mode, and some of the games/mods I have for quake won't even run in it. Please help!

Thanks for replying alecstar, but no luck so far. Sorry moderators for posting in the wrong forum, Thought you deleted my post frown Anyway, I have tried up[censored] my drivers, up[censored] for both the vid card and I installed the last version of the OpenGL ICD out, still no good. When I start the game, most of the time it freezes at the console, but I can still hear the sound playing, and the screen is tinted green. I hope i'm not the only one having this problem, :S

I am running the version of GLquake that came on my CD, GL 0.95. As for the tomazquake, i'll try that out. I also tryed Nehahra, with no luck. Any other ideas? I'm desperate here. lol

Edit: I tryed tomazquake, no luck. They all have the same problem, tinted green screen, doesn't come out of console, still can hear sound on some, or console does come up but is slower that molassas in January. I've never had a problem like this before so I have no clue what to do frown My GLquake has been broke ever since I installed winXP, and I miss it!

Alright alec, i'll try that, sounds like a good idea. I'll let you know if it works or not (of course)

Quote:
Hello, i'm new here if you haven't noticed. I have a problem. Or major problem to me, I cannot get my GLQuake to run under windowsXP.

Use one of the more recent source ports. I'd recommend either QER Quake (tQER) or Tomazquake. Both offer significant improvements over GLQuake and I believe both can be adjusted to operate just like GLQuake in case you are not fond of the new features the source ports offer.

Welp, Tomazquake and QER quake both crash, and anything else just doesn't run. Alec, yes both my GPU and CPU are overclocked, but it did the same thing before that. I'm going to try up[censored] to the latest detonator drivers, to see if that corrects the problem.

What version of Quake are you running? I have 1.08 and I believe it is the latest and last patch for Quake. If you can't find 1.08 try going to at least 1.06. GL Quake (unofficial) from Id is at 1.13 which is alot newer then the 0.95 you are running.

I upgraded GLquake to 1.13, and my quake is version 1.08, still no luck. I also upgraded to the newest detonator drivers, and my directX is at 8.1. It still does the same thing, regardless of the drivers and such. I've tried everything I can think of. Hell I can't even get my DOS quake to work. frown

Nope, still nothing works. I think its the GLquake driver I have smirk (OpenGL95.exe) the ICD for nvidia cards. Problem is I can't find any other miniport drivers for GLQuake. You guys know of any? Or is there any?

I will try the windows update alec, I will also reset all my clock settings back to normal. As for the drivers, I will do that again too. Only this time I will go into safe mode and uninstall.. I hope this works, I want to see all these new quake ports, I didn't even know these existed...awesome

Edit: tenebrae quake didn't work either. I totally forgot to mention this, It gives me the error "Multitexturing not found". How is that possible? I have a friggin GF2!

Still a no go. This is so god blessed' frustrating. I haven't been able to play Quake since I upgraded to XP a year ago. Same thing, tint green screen, slow and unplayable, or frozen screen with sound playing just fine.

Not sure if you've tried this yet, but hey, give it a shot, I guess! Try disabling your soundcard then loading Quake. Perhaps XP is trying to have some type of sound card emulation? Just a shot in the dark, really, but I'm about out of ideas.... ;(

okay, here's what i do (forgive me if i'm a bit off, it's been awhile):

1. Install Video Card

2. Install Video Card Drivers & Restart Windows

3. Install Quake by running Windows 98 compatibility mode on "DEICE.EXE" on your Quake CD.

4. Install GLQuake 1114

5. DO NOT install anything related to "3Dfx"

6. Play GLQuake

And what the hell is "OpenGL95.exe" doing on your system anyway?

Well it isn't the sound, but good idea. You guys have been very helpful so far and I appreciate it very much. Here is a quote from the GLQuake 1.14 readme:

Quote:
Theoretically, glquake will run on any compliant OpenGL that supports the

texture objects extensions, but unless it is very powerfull hardware that

accelerates everything needed, the game play will not be acceptable. If it

has to go through any software emulation paths, the performance will likely

by well under one frame per second.

This sounds very familiar to me! It acts like it isn't implementing OpenGL on my system at all. Keep in mind that this XP install was an upgrade from windows 98. I got and installed all the XP drivers, and every other game functions just fine. What gives? I have all the latest detonator drivers installed, updated XP, DX 8.1, tried reinstalling quake, tried compatibility mode, tried everything you guys told me to. It seems like it has something to do with the native OpenGL subsystem of winXP. (if there is such a thing, I hope I am making sense).

IT WORKS! IT F______ WORKS! i set it to run in windows 98 compatibility mode after installing 1.14 and it works fine now! Thank you all very much! I can play all my games now! lol. Off to test some more, and to look at these pretty game ports. Thanks again!

Edit: I took off compatibility mode and it still works. This is both puzzling and strange, Because now I'm not sure what fixed it, but who cares, it's fixed now, whoohoo!

I am thinking you had some sort of conflict between the OpenGL drivers for NT and 9x since you stated that you upgraded your 9x install to XP. You usually don't want to do this since this is what happens. Quake should run fine under XP without any compatibility patches applied.

Ouch if even DOS Quake won't run then I really don't know. The sound for DOS Quake probably might give XP a fit though. Try using WinQuake.

The only thing you need do after install GLQuake 1114 is rename opengl32.dll in the Quake folder if there one there then it should pick up OpenGL ICD for your Video card and for all tweaking needs for Quake1, 2 are rigth here http://www.ve3d.com/3Fingers/ thank to good old Brett aka 3 Fingers'

I'm having the same problem as rocket did... except I cannot find deice.exe anywhere on my quake cd. I'm running xp with a geforce fx 5200... any solutions?

I also have GLQuake (latest version from idsoftware - is that GLQuake 0.95?), and have no problems running it on my Windows XP Pro machine with GeForce FX 5600 and latest NVIDIA drivers (don't need compatibility mode either), as well as QWGL (GLQuake version of Quakeworld). Make sure though that there is no opengl.dll file in your Quake folder (the 3dfx wrapper).