Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

Windows Media Player, DRM, and You

I'd like to know what everyone's opinion on Digital Rights Management, and how it will impact your media usage. I am not a complete fan of it, but I feel that we will be somewhat forced to accept and embrace it.

I'd be more receptive of it if I knew it really was for the artists benefit and not to make sure that the RIAA can keep lining their pockets with money that should be going to the artists.

Easy. DON'T USE IT. Enough people don't use it then it won't get implemented.

As far as I know it isn't illegal not to use it....YET.

I agree, I think there needs to be a mutual agreement here, though. An idea that I've been kicking around for the past few days is this: If consumers readily accept DRM-enabled media, I think they need to lower overall prices of music cds. For example, I think charging $18 US for a music cd, which only has 2-3 good songs, is too expensive. Ideally, the RIAA would realize that DRM means less piracy (Obviously...) and therefore can lower prices appropriately compensating for less loss.

Quote:
Easy. DON'T USE IT. Enough people don't use it then it won't get implemented.

As far as I know it isn't illegal not to use it....YET.

That is what I may wind up doing, until the media players refuse to play anything but DRM enabled media... I would personally like WMP9 final to be shipped with the DRM option DISABLED. That wouldn't be a substantial move, but very important, IMO.

The Admiral nailed it for me. As it is I am slowly trying to find ways to go toward Linux (with open source apps, there's a helluva lot more "democracy" involved) as a desktop OS, and I am hoping that distros will continue to come out that would be chained to Palladium once it hits the mainstream. I imagine that one or two might (Corel might come back, with financing from MS to support it, and maybe RedHat since they have become so big) give it a go since it is simply a hardware solution that's interfaced with x86 hardware. All that I have ever wanted to do was to be able to download the 1 or 2 tracks that are usually worth a damn on a CD, and not have to buy the whole thing.

The big problem I have with Linux and Palladium is that it won't run any binaries that haven't been signed by MS. If I were to say, compile my own kernel, it wouldn't run until I had it signed by MS. In effect, Palladium kills the ability to compile your own programs from source. Until I have the utmost certainty that MS won't do that (and, given MS's present stance on open source, I can't shake the feeling that they will seeing as it effectively kills open source software) I simply cannot support Palladium.

Quote:
The big problem I have with Linux and Palladium is that it won't run any binaries that haven't been signed by MS. If I were to say, compile my own kernel, it wouldn't run until I had it signed by MS. In effect, Palladium kills the ability to compile your own programs from source. Until I have the utmost certainty that MS won't do that (and, given MS's present stance on open source, I can't shake the feeling that they will seeing as it effectively kills open source software) I simply cannot support Palladium.

I just read this http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html and i have to say that i am not interested in any of that crap. I want to tamper
not cause i run illegal shit or anything like that, but just cause i love to tweak and tune. How the fuk do you learn without tampering?

Personally, I am able to learn a lot by 'tampering' I guess we'll have to wait and see, I am hoping that motherboard manufacturers add an 'undocumented' jumper to disable Palladium.

I'm hoping the Taiwanese motherboard manufacturers just tell MS to stick it but a jumper would be better than nothing I guess...

I say stick to what DosFreak says and don't use it, i don't. I could care less.

here's my opinion on copyrighted material though, sorry if it doesn't make sense or if i'm wrong, but i've been smoking a bit, so bear with me..

I feel that when i purchase a dvd or cd, the company signs over rights to that copy and that i then own it. this means when i buy games, movies, or music i make a personal "Fair Use" copy, this goes for all of my most viewed dvd's, thank god for divx(mpeg4)! and if i have problems ripping and encoding a particular dvd, i download an already encoded version, same goes for music too. not that this is really part of this topic, but i really don't care what companies do to protect against piracy, anything can be cracked. now i'm not saying i don't have "some" pirated material, but i don't try to make a bootlegging business out of it nor do i distribute it.

I agree with you, I believe that, once I buy something, whether it be a CD, DVD or piece of software, I should be able to do whatever the hell I please with it so long as its for my own personal use. Unfortunately, the RIAA/MPAA/Software companies don't believe in that kind of "fair use." They want you to pay for every copy of the media in your posession (because, quite simply, it means more money for them).