Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

Logon Issues

Hello all,

When one first installs Windows XP, it allows for the option of telling the computer to always assume that a certain user is logging in, thus the machine boots without stopping to ask for user information.

Can someone please tell me where I reset this setting so the machine will start asking for Login info?

Thanks

I am not in front of 'my' machine, as I am at work, but this should be close! Go to the control panel, and switch to the classic view, if applicable. Open the users icon, look for a tab on the top of the dialog box that says advanced, or something similar. There should be a box checked that says something to the effect of "Assume the following user is always logged on"

Uncheck that, and create a new user account, as necessary. You may also wish to require users to press CTRL-ALT-DEL prior to logging on. That option will be near where the "Assume..." option is. Again, sorry if this isn't 100% dead-on... I am on a Win98 box at work! laugh

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know if I am missing something here or not, but the procedure described above does not seem to exist in Windows Xp Professional. I DO remember this is excatgly how it was done in Windows 2000, but in XP, the User Accounts control panel applet does not seem to have any options for turning this option on and off. I have also tried the Admin tools, but can't find it there either frown Maybe I am just blind - hehe

Start-->Run

Type nusrmgr.cpl, then Enter

Click "Change the way users log on and off"

Uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen"

Click Apply Options

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I don't know if I am missing something here or not, but the procedure described above does not seem to exist in Windows Xp Professional. I DO remember this is excatgly how it was done in Windows 2000, but in XP, the User Accounts control panel applet does not seem to have any options for turning this option on and off. I have also tried the Admin tools, but can't find it there either frown Maybe I am just blind - hehe

ok well here is how it goes if you have one user with no password windows will log you on automatically that is it