Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Lemmings under WinXP :P

I've been in classic gaming mode all month.. and was suprised to find how many of my ol DOS faves work under XP (bout 98% I reckon) and how many have been ported to Windows smile .

Now I was a great fan of the Lemmings series when they first came out (what got me into gaming in the first place) and was wondering if there were any ports of the old games to the Win32 platform.

I already have Lemmings for Windows, but thats only for the 1st game and it's add-on pack. I have old copies of L2 the tribes and An all new world of Lemmings gathering dust on my shelves atm as they won't even load under XP. frown

If no ports of these games were released.. do you think they'd work in VPC DOS or Win 95?

To my knowledge there aren't any windows ports aside from Lemmings for Windows. However, the second peter spada lemmings game does work on windows. There's also lemmings the revolution which is a lemmings Direct3D game by Psygnosis. You might also consider Pingus which is a lemmings clone with pengiuns as the mascot animal. VPC might work for lemmings games, but in the demo at least of VPC 5(Virtual PC www.Connectix.com) the mouse movement is really slow and therefore extremely difficult for lemmings gameplay. However there are patches for VPC full version so who knows whether or not it works well in the full version. I am very impressed with VPC as far as dos emulation goes. However they need to add a driver so you can type "exit" at a dos prompt and have it end your emulation session. VMWare sucks for dos emulation, because they don't emulate EMS correctly and it crashes all the time and they even admit it in the tech docs. So until they get things fixed I'd say that VPC is the way to go. I have a pentium 4 1.6GHZ and 256MB RAM and keep as few processes running as possible and yes still the mouse is slow.

Hi

Has anyone had any success with Lemmings 3D under XP?

I have tried the other Lemmings/Oh No More Lemmings and Paintball (all for 95) and they are okay, just can't seem to get 3D to work.

It wamts to run under DOS and I have little or no knowledge of that....

Cheers