Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

40.41 Det's - BSOD

installed the 40.41's and tried to play GTA3, go the following Stop Error:

A Thread tried to release a resource it did not own.

How Can i fix this? I can't use any of the new Detonator drivers such as the 29.42's without getting this stop error.

i did a fresh xp installation, installed the det 40s all my games ran perfect cept for cs that kept on spinning round and looking at the sky......had to go back to the 29s myself frown are the 40s only betas?

it happened with my gf3 and with my new msi g4 ti4200

the 40s are not betas but they are not WHQL certified

some people like me have no problems at all with them while others have some weird issues. Depends on hardware config probly. I would be curious to know what chipsets you guys are using. Perhaps chipset x has no issues while chipset y has some weirdness, just a thought.

not trying to start another intel vs via or intel vs amd debate here and if at all possible lets not do that. Here is the point

perhaps there is something in vias 4 in 1 drivers that doesn't agree with the new dets. do you guys have the 4 in 1s? if so which version?

on the MSI forums, theres a tested method for installing via 4 in1s for the different MSI motherboards and operating systems. I'm using .38s. Every other game is fine except for counterstrike. Thats the only game I play all the time doh

well i'll be damned you are correct

I love the betas theses days

2k was a great beta

xp was a great beta

.NET is the best ever

the dets have allways been great betas to play with.

Honestly, the only betas I have personally been involved in (Actual testing and feedback) were XP Pro, and .Net Server/Enterprise Server... Unofficially, I've been playing around a bit with Mandrake Linux RC1.

Quote:
Honestly, the only betas I have personally been involved in (Actual testing and feedback) were XP Pro, and .Net Server/Enterprise Server... Unofficially, I've been playing around a bit with Mandrake Linux RC1.

glad to hear it man
we need more testers in our league of users
you would not beleive some of the morons on the ms beta newsgroups
i think a certian post count here should earn you Full MS beta privileges
after all this is ntcompatible. they should encourage the crazy enthusiasts like us to use and test the software cause we can really put it to the test.

ok so u guys are both using the 4 in 1s and both experienceing problems

the question is do you need the 4 in 1s

you guys are both using XP so it should not be necisary

perhaps try your sys without 4 in 1s and see if you still see the problem

its a reach but perhaps it is worth a shot

i know that one of the drivers in the 4in1 package is an agp driver and perhaps it does't play nice.

i recenryl was ALWAYS getting B.S.OD's with any 30.* driver on my system,

i only got a RIVA TNT2 32mb card here @ work, but i alwasy got the

nvd2_dll or something has cause errors

i put back in 29.*s, and they work fine , no more B.S.O.D

i got the 40.* running @ home with my g4 4600 ultra, and i play gta 3 religiously, but not recently since i formated, I will put it back in and see if i have any issues (See VAIO for home specs)

if anything go back to the last version that worked for u.

Quote:
ok so u guys are both using the 4 in 1s and both experienceing problems
the question is do you need the 4 in 1s
you guys are both using XP so it should not be necisary
perhaps try your sys without 4 in 1s and see if you still see the problem
its a reach but perhaps it is worth a shot
i know that one of the drivers in the 4in1 package is an agp driver and perhaps it does't play nice.

I really dunno if i need the 4 in 1's, i was having probs before which is why i installed them, to tell you the truth, it has to be the via chipset, i know other people have via's but i have an older chipset and a GeForce3, it kinda pisses me off, but i figure why get mad about it if i can use the 22.80's fine, the new question now is why do the 22.80's work but not the 29.42's or 40.41's.

Well this is interesting I have a very simlar spec to yours and I haven't experienced any probs with the 40.41 series (in fact alot of games are noticably quicker).

ABIT KT7E [KT-133E (VT8363,686B) {BIOS 3R}]

AMD T-Bird 1.1GHz CPU

Ge-Force 3 Ti 200 (Nvidia 40.41)

Maxtor HDD's

VIA 4in1 4.42

Windows XP Pro 2600 SP1

Have you tried disabling any overclocking you have and setting your BIOS to fail safe defaults?

I've found that when ever I set my memory speeds to over optimistic settings I get various BSODs. eg STOP 0x50 in NV4_Disp.dll.

Try it and see if your crashes go away... it worked for me which is why I never bother with too much tweaking OC'ing as VIA are just too unstable for it in my experience.

i have tried my cpu and video card at default speeds/voltages, i have also raised/lowered my AGP Aperture size and still no luck, the 22.80's work fine but i'd really like to know what the problem is so i can use the newer det's.

Quote:
i have tried my cpu and video card at default speeds/voltages, i have also raised/lowered my AGP Aperture size and still no luck, the 22.80's work fine but i'd really like to know what the problem is so i can use the newer det's.

the 22.8's were like some of my favorite dets ever
i started having problems with them eventually though.
there 22.8 were beta right?

i just notice how many dets i have stashed up
det.gif