Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pdisante

Windows XP upgrade headaches

I just installed Windows XP as an upgrade, and it has wreaked havoc on my existing hardware.

Does anyone know if there is driver available to work in XP for the NEC Superscript 1260 laser printer? I can't get the darn thing to work since I upgraded to XP.

I also have a Santa Cruz sound card from Turtle Beach that no longer works because of this install. It's like I'm getting a shrieking howler monkey out of my speakers! Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Thank you so much for replying!

Quote:
It sounds a bit like you're paying the price for doing an upgrade.

It never fails! This sort of thing seemingly always happens when I try something new on my computer.

>>Can you back up your data wipe the drive and install from scratch?

I'm afraid I'm not nearly "techie" enough for that.

Santa Cruz drivers are at: ftp://ftp.voyetra.com/pub/tbs/santacru/sc_4161s.zip

Thank you. I downloaded, but I still can't make it work, and I again tried to re-install the software.

XP also includes drivers for the NEC 1260, so you don't need to download any.

The only problem is...I still can't make it work, even when I re-install the NEC software (which I've done three times!)

I have an e-mail into NEC. My Norton AntiVirus headaches continue because I followed the procedures that are supposed to work, and it still won't fix the problem. Just like the NEC error messages, it says it can't find a file. I just bought this Norton update TODAY via a download! I re-downloaded the software and tried to re-install, but it still seemingly can't find a particular file, according to the error message. And the Norton website is horrible--there's almost no way to contact them, unless you PAY MONEY for support! I just BOUGHT the darn thing!

Ugh. Sorry for the rant. I've spent the whole darn day on this, and have not as yet resolved one single problem!

Thanks again for your help.

Installing from scratch is quite straight forward. Any data you want to keep, simply write it to CD or copy it to another hard disk/partiton.

Then boot from the WinXP CD. You can pretty much follow the prompts after that. Just make sure you reformat the C drive during installation. You'll be asked to insert the CD for a previous version of Windows, so just do a bit of disk swapping, and then it will carry on.

A few minutes later and you'll be sorted. There are also plenty of other posts on this board that deal with fresh installs and upgrades.

Your life will be much easier if you can do it. Things will probably only get more and more frustrating if you keep trying to get stuff to work.

By the way, what OS did you upgrade from? If it was Windows 2000 you should be able to fix most problems. If it was Windows 98 or Windows ME, you'll have some trouble for sure.

Quote:
By the way, what OS did you upgrade from? If it was Windows 2000 you should be able to fix most problems. If it was Windows 98 or Windows ME, you'll have some trouble for sure.

It was Windows ME, which came installed on the machine when I bought it. Lucky me, huh? I guess I'm going to be having another marathon session on the phone today with Microsoft. *sigh*

naw dont call ms

reinstall xp fresh... including reformatting the drive (ntfs)

what norton probs are u having

there are some issues with xp and nav corp 7.x

but that is easily fixable

Really, when you change platforms (Win9X to WinNT) a clean install is always the best route to go... I read an article somewhere recently (Sorry, I don't remember where off hand) where a representitive from MS actually said that Win2k/XP wasn't meant to upgrade from the 9X class. Sorry for all the troubles you've been having, but I can assure you that many of the visitors to the site here have learned a great deal from their mistakes.. Best of luck.