Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Performance degrading over time in GTA 3

I have a problem with GTA 3... after it's been running for about an hour or so it starts to get really slow and jerky (HDD gets accessed alot). Before I start it I always close down all progs/background & taskbar apps and non essential services etc and defrag the HD.

I've installed all the XP fixes and updated my drivers, basically all the standard stuff. (I've tried the 1.1 patch but that didn't help, just made the visuals rubbish so I took it off again).

The first time I started it on XP I found I had the D3D+Nvidia problem (ie corrupt GFX and stuttering). So I used the d3d8.dll from the Windows 2000 DX 8.1b package as a workaround. The corruption prob was solved (and all other D3D games work fine).

Are there any XP services/progs that start when the PC is 'idle' or is it simply running out of memory after a time? (I have 256 RAM), never used to happen under 2000 though...

is it a copy?

i read that there is a protection in GTA3 that means if u have a copied disc, over time it degrades and eventually the game becomes unplayable.

give some more of your system specs.

one workaround for having to use cd's is to install CD1 normally, after the install is complete, copy (from the GTA3 CD2) the AUDIO folder and the two files: drvmgt.dll and secdrv.sys to your c:\program files\rockstar games\gtaiii\ folder, now install the version 1.1 patch and then use a version 1.1 no-cd crack. this is what i do so i don't mess up my $50 GTA3 cd-set.

Also, make sure you install the NVidia/WinXP fix if you need to, do a search for this file from microsoft: Q306676_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe.

To speed up GTA3 graphics-wise, try downloading a small app named HighFPS (try doing a search i Google for it), its options will allow you to turn off some aspects of the game that put a drain on performance (Leaves, Newspapers, etc), also, go into your options menu and turn off Trails.

As for the copy protection mentioned above.....Never heard of it.

Bascially you need more ram 128 is the very bare minimuim for XP and it's happier with 256. Now when you start running huge memoery hogs like GTA3 you'll need a lot more otherwise thing will start to get cached to the HDD which which slow slowings down somewhat, this is why you can hear your HDD chuntering away. With 512 meg you'll be a much happier bunny and it won't costs youa packet as it's only about £37 for an extra 256meg from crucial.com

Some Call Me Tim

Quote:
give some more of your system specs.

one workaround for having to use cd's is to install CD1 normally, after the install is complete, copy (from the GTA3 CD2) the AUDIO folder and the two files: drvmgt.dll and secdrv.sys to your c:\program files\rockstar games\gtaiii\ folder, now install the version 1.1 patch and then use a version 1.1 no-cd crack. this is what i do so i don't mess up my $50 GTA3 cd-set.

Kinda off-topic, but have you tried Daemon-Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.com)? It's one of those "Fake CD-ROM" programs, but works wonders for me. Instead of using my CDs to play, I make images of them in my HD using BlindWrite or CloneCD and run them thought this program. This way I can protect my CDs, without having to resort to cracks. Of course, this requires plenty of HD space, but that's what my 40GB is here for. :P

[]s Badaro

Anyone ever tried CloneCD? Ive made a backup of my GTA3 CD, and so have many of my friends, the link in my sig gves you most of the stuff nedeed also a tutorial fro copying games is found here.

smile

Thanks for the replies... maybe I just need more RAM, I was going to go for 512 in the near future anyhow, so I guess this settles it.

I already use DTools for GTA3 (and others) anyhow, and I agree its a great app laugh

Quote:
clone cd is the sh1t
use it and you'll love it also

and the only problem with CloneCD is if u have asmall scratch on your cd, it will read it as a copy protected sector, and still make an image and BAM! there is a useless image smile

As for moutning the game, might as well just install it and get a no cd crack, same idea i guess - except u don't got to make images of all your games.

as for that copy protection, of the game degrading over time, they only put that out on 2 or 3 games early this year, the idea i do not think many people wanted to us.

ah yes, Daemon tools, haven't use it since v3.11 or something, just downloaded the new 3.17 version to give it a shot. thanks for reminding me about it.

Quote:
Bascially you need more ram 128 is the very bare minimuim for XP and it's happier with 256. Now when you start running huge memoery hogs like GTA3 you'll need a lot more otherwise thing will start to get cached to the HDD which which slow slowings down somewhat, this is why you can hear your HDD chuntering away. With 512 meg you'll be a much happier bunny and it won't costs youa packet as it's only about £37 for an extra 256meg from crucial.com

Some Call Me Tim

Indeed I bet cha it is a problem with the paging file filling up
you could make a bigger paging file to combat the problem
or at the very least make sure it is static.

Quote:
Four and Twenty: clone cd is the sh1t
use it and you'll love it also

Quote:

Mr Guverment: and the only problem with CloneCD is if u have asmall scratch on your cd, it will read it as a copy protected sector, and still make an image and BAM! there is a useless image smile

As for Mr guverment, thats becuase some games do have bad sectors??? Some copy protections even if they are NOT standard use bad sectors, one of my CD's was brand new, i tried to back it up, it had bad sectors BUT the backup plays perfectly.
As for your problems, it could be your plextor needs a firmware update since it a known issue that some plextors with CCD have been too sensetive!

Quote:
lol he said it was THE sh**
meaning it is very good

i have also heard it was very good, but i still use nero

laugh LOL indeed

I like all the good buner apps
i use
cdrwin
clonecd
nero
and if i ever have to i will use ezcd5 platinum
but i woln't install that crap on my computer i use it on my colleges computer

Sorry, but must say im not from America so im not familiar with all your slang terms ;(

Anwyay if anyone has any queries about CLoneCD please dont hesitate to ask....

Quote:
Sorry, but must say im not from America so im not familiar with all your slang terms ;(
Anwyay if anyone has any queries about CLoneCD please dont hesitate to ask....

true true we got tons of slang. it's fun to trade on these boards.