Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ancker

How do I get the names of all computers on my local LAN?

I'm on a Netware Network and I need a way to get a list of all machines in our IP range.

i would use Net View but i'm on a corporate network that doesn't use domains(Netware). Also several workgroups are duplicated at different locations so a scan of workgroup "engineering" might take forever to return results since we have machines in Japan, Sweden, Mexico, Brazil, and the US all on that workgroup.

Is there some type of utility that I can specify 10.1.96.1 - 10.1.96.254 and it will return:

\\pc1

\\pc2

\\pc4

\\pc12

I need to add myself to the local administrators group on each Windows 2000 machine and I'd rather not have to go sit at each and every computer to do this.

I know how to use the Manage (Connect to another computer). I just don't know all of the computer names on my network. As they were implemented before I was hired and some do not follow the naming scheme.

Can anyone help me out?

Anyone have any ideas?

Ancker Jade...

The "Connect to another computer" function can work by IP address as well, so you don't really need to know the name. Once connected, you can also find out the name by right-clicking the "Computer Management (ip address)" and choose properties.

Yes I know, but then i'd have to go through 255 IP addresses and wait for them to time out/connect.

I'd almost spend as much time waiting for them to time out as I would going to each machine.

I'd like something that automatically does it, so I can work on other things while it's scanning, and not have to manually try every IP.

Thanks for your input though. It might be what I end up doing.

Ancker....

Actually I tried using the IP in the "connect to another computer"

and I got "Cannot find x.x.x.x Check your spelling" On a machine that is connected. AND on my local machine. Even 127.0.0.1

So that isn't a possible alternative.

Ancker....

Umm, wow, I didn't even see this until just now. There's a utility from 3Com that's free and it might be what you are looking for. It's a network administrator app that normally comes with their switches and can do a full scan of a given subnet and return all the devices on it with their names. Also, you could use some VBScripting to interact with WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) to update those for you if I remember correctly. Check out www.myitforum.com for details on the WMI part, and I'll see if I can post a link to the utility.

There is a ready made VBS script + DLL to be found by following this LINK. It will only report the online staus of each PC (ON/OFF) but maybe it gives you some ideas for modding .

H.

Well, flushing a reloading the cache is fine it you want up-to-the-minute network listings, but with this 3Com utility can do a bit more (such as monitor the stations) and can be sorted by subnet. It will also show you everything else on your network and give you your management options for them.

Clutch-

Thanks for the utility, but it doens't show all the names.

It grabs a few printers and the firewall, but all of the workstations just show their IP address.

Is there a setting I need to configure?

Ancker.....

Quote:
Clutch-

Thanks for the utility, but it doens't show all the names.
It grabs a few printers and the firewall, but all of the workstations just show their IP address.

Is there a setting I need to configure?

Ancker.....

On the systems it doesn't pick up, are they using using DHCP? Sometimes you get stray systems that don't register properly and therefore may not get their names to show up. One way to make sure is to View>Labels in the 3Com utility and change the listing view. You might find that you are using DNS or some other method that your network doesn't properly support. If the systems in question are using static IPs, then you can just select the "Properties" of the node and enter the name manually for your own reference.

The machines that are not showing up are using DHCP.

maybe I can find a way to get it to work.

If not, I guess i'll be taking a few EARLY morning going from machine to machine.

Ancker...

If you install the bonus pack of stuff (I think called Admin Tools) that comes on the Windows CD or download it from the MS site, there is a proggy called "browstat" that access all the network stats.

Using the command prompt type:

"browstat v 1 workgroup"

browstat - program

v - view all machines

1 - network adapter

workgroup - name of your workgroup/domain

This will display a full list of names on the network and can be used to get names of all other computers.

There are also many other programs that do this kind of thing in a GUI format, from memory on is TCPView. Just do a search on Download.com for Network Viewing Utilities.

Hope this helps.

You should try CheckIP from InfoJet. It does what you want and allows you to export the list to a text file.