Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

Survey are you better off since installing Win2K Svc. Pack 3

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Most of the machines running W2K that I work with are servers, and since they have been running great I haven't had a need to try out the new SP. Maybe I will at some point, but not right now.

had a BSOD problem on a friends machine with deamon tools

no workaround was found

had to uninstall the program

that is the only machine i have used it on

all my machines are running .NET

Except for the anoying windows update problem I have not had any problems.

Is there a fix for that? Sorry if it's already been asked and answered but I just saw your post & I'm about to head off for the day smile thanks!

Quote:

(Service Packs I will do this for... but not beta Os' & what not, not even programs if the coder lists them as such!)

so i must be one of the more dangerous types unleashing the newest .NET builds on my network.

well, first try....

PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA on every normal boot....

after format & reinstall....

Everything works fine.

What is the windows update bug? If it is what I think it is, I might be a victim of it.

Wow I guess those who used Windows Update had a really bad time. I think I tried SP1 off Windows Update on a system at work and it worked great, but that was then and this is now. After working at Microsoft and installing Windows 2000 beta builds off a 10 megabit network you learn to download all the files first, because you just never know when the network will burp. So in the future I'd recommend following the link I provided (at the top of this topic) and download the full 120 meg file and that way you know ahead of time that if the update program needs a file it'll be there ready and waiting.

I pretty much gave up on 2000 a year ago (good riddance to bad rubbish I say) so I haven't got any need to try this SP. I have the XP SP sitting on my hard drive but since I'm using .NET exclusively these days I have no real need to try that yet either.

No major problems on our deployments smile

However, at my home machine i started to get

"can not read from memory xxxxxxx etc error"

occasionaly. And windows update ain't very cooperative, like it refuses to work no matter what.

Also my Notebook is gone haywire and had to reinstall the OS.

My home desktop was a fresh install.

Apart from those it is fine never had any stability problems before or after.

Quote:
Yes, a pain, but I get to do things differently too, things I know & learned over time on the last installation that I knew I could have done better.)

I used to feel exactly the same way, but as I have gotten older I've realized that I don't enjoy installing Os's, applications, and drivers all day. The number one thing I loose on a re-install is time. I can think of so many things I'd rather be doing it scares me smile. So that's why I use Norton Ghost, but there's a ton of great backup titles. I also hate going through every program and digging my way through thousands of settings dialogues to get things just the way I want them. So I back it up. And yes if things get really screwed up (after worm virusses for example) then yes I re-install too.

Does anyone know of any freeware backup titles worth a damn? I have RawRead/RawWrite which is an internal microsoft tool (not to be mistaken with the freeware floppy tool). However rawread only supports Fat12,16, and 32 and doesn't support resizing. So if you have a backup and your HD dies and you try to restore it to a larger drive you're hosed smile. Lame no?