Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjpuczko

win98SE VPN problem

i'm trying to get a VPN connection from home working. I dial in using my network password & the ip/server address. This works just fine. But the instructions i was given show a 2nd logon, which gives me network access. I don't see this at all. It shows i'm connected but i can't find any network drives/folders/nothing. Anyone have some suggestions/tips? Greatly appreciated

Have you spoken to your IT personnel? Can you post the directions in question?

here are the instructions:

-add Adapter from Network Components

-Select Microsoft & choose Microsoft VPN Adapter

-after Copying files, restart PC

-after PC reboots open Dial-Up Networking

-make new Connection & create a name

-Type the IP address or mail server (i.e. mail.something.com)

-select finish

-right click on new icon & setup server types as described

-double-click icon & enter username & password (for network)

-then i'm supposed to see another logon prompt where i enter my username/password & domain name. i don't recieve this.

after the first prompt. a message comes up saying i'm connected, but i dont' see any drives, etc.

Odd, for my guys I made a simple executable using Win2K's RRAS that the person just runs and it does all that work for them. It looks like you might be seeing one of two things:

1. You're just not getting in, or

2. You're getting in but not running the logon script which gives you your mapped drives.

However, I haven't had a need to fiddle with 9x based OSs in such a long time that I really have nothing more to offer. You should just have your IT personnel resolve it for you since they are the ones that implemented it.

There was an update for Win98's VPN system if I remember.

Not available through "Windows Update" you had to go find it.

The issue revolved around security, basically we all know that Win9x is about as secure as a paper envelope in water and the Win2k servers simply wont let them in.

At work I've set-up a VPN and all but one of my users has been forced over to Win2k with the exception of one "suit" who just wont upgrade and I had hell and all trouble getting him connected.

Do a search around MS's site for such an update or alternatively as already recommended speak to your IT department - if they want Win98 machines to be able to VPN in then they will have the fix.