Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dredd

BE6-II with PIII 1GHz NO GO

I recently purchased a PIII 1GHz slot1 100mhz bus CPU for my Abit BE6-II board. I flashed the bios before installing the new chip to be sure it would post right. After installing the new CPU, the system will no longer post. It just turns the front lights on and sits there. I can place the old PIII 450 and everything is fine. But the 1GHz will not Post. Abit's website with the new bios says it will work. What could cause the issue? I have removed and swapped all I/O cards and RAM. Please help! Thanks,

-Damon

Hi!

What kind of slotket do you use?

You have to get one with these jumper that makes it compatible with Coppermine cpus (reset and vid pins as far as I remember).

I owned a BX6-2 long ago. I believe it is very similar to yours.

PIII worked fine with it (with the proper slotket).

Best slotkets are 1/ Asus 2/Abit

Ah, yes, clear cmos before booting the new cpu!

Ooops I see it is a slot1 cpu. Must be tired x)

Clear cmos anyway. Voltage may be a prob too.

I had this same problem not too long ago... check:

1. Make sure the slotket is seated pretty well

2. Make sure you're not mixing RAM... mixing RAM turned out to be a death blow for this motherboard with a p3-1ghz CPU

3. Try the CPU in another board to make sure the CPU is okie.

Slot1, so no need for slotket.... As for CMOS has been reset, but how could I adjust core voltage if that is the issue?

Changed Core voltage to 1.65 with the old 450 chip in there... Put the new 1ghz chip in and started it up... nothing happened again... so apparently it is not a voltage issue.

I had a quirky problem like this when I upgraded the CPU in a Abit BX-2 board. First I reset all the BIOS options to default so the Soft Menu would be cleared and back to default, saved then shutdown. I then cleared the CMOS for good measure.

Good luck!