Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Helshad

SP3 and winlogon.exe

I have come across a strange error after installing SP3 on Win 2000 machines... On 2 machines, so far, I got an error on winlogon.exe file when they tried to loggon for the first time after installation.

It just say that winlogon.exe created an error and reboots over and over again.. I cant get to the logon screen and safemode is just the same...

No error log is created... It just keep rebooting at the same place all the time..

I have installed it on the same type of machines 10 times now and 2 of them got this error... I cant find anything on microsofts support pages or anywhere else...

Anyone else seen this happend?? and someone knowing what to do about it??? Replacing the winlogon.exe dosnt do the trick... hehehe

Are the users logging in the same Security level (users, not power users)? I've depoyed SP3 on about 30 machines and haven't run into this problem but I login right after the first reboot (as an Admin user) to install a few post service pack critical updates. This is totally a guess but it may be that the SP install needs to finish something on the first login and it requires a higher level user (power or admin) to complete.

Hi Ewaite and Clutch...

Firstly, I cant get to the loggon screen at all... It craches before I even get there... One more detail could be that this happend when they installed it on a computer wich has been running for a rather long time without service... If I make a clean copy of win2000 on the computers there is never a problem...

No, there is no PCAnywhere on them... Only I and and 2 more uses that kind of software, but in our case PC-DUO, but on the other hand... We use a rather lot of software on our client machines in our work so it could be anything....

I am just puzzled... I have no clue what could cause this error...

The last time I saw that problem it was because a version of PC Anywhere that was *supposed* to be Win2K ready wasn't *quite* so ready afterall. Good luck with the link.