Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ancker

Weird network Problems.

here is the set up

machines all connected to a hub, which is connected to another hub, which is connected to the switch in the server room.

Today I come in and 3 users are complaning of not being able to log on to the network. the NICs show link lights on all three machines. the hub shows links for all three machines. there are 2 other people on this hub that are connecting fine.

i've narrowed it down to the machines are not able to obtain an IP from the DHCP server.

i've checked all settings, they are fine.

i've replaced cable, same error.

i've plugged machine into working port, same error.

the only thing i haven't done is replace NIC. but i dont' see a reason when 3 machine got the problem over night. i highly doubt 3 NICs went down simultaneously. Especially since they

:x

Stuff like this always makes me batty after a while. I have seen this on a few networks.

Have you done this...

1) Try powering cycling the HUBs with the machines that have problems also powered off. After the HUBs come back online, power the machines back on. [size:14]This is best done by powering down the whole network[/color], all machines, switches, hubs. This equals like 8 minutes or less of down time if done in a efficient manner.

This has helped me out 2/3 times.

Thanks for your help.

But it was determined that the three dells that this happened on. (for some reason) there was a power outage and the setting on the nics had been reset, and they had to be 100full for them to work.

so after full troubleshooting, taking down main file server.

it turned out to be a NIC setting....

thanks

Ancker