Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SpyCatcher

XP & Links Router

I have three systems 2 XP Pro, 1 W2K, Links 4 port router. Here is my problem with the main XP it can see folders in the other 2 systems but can not transfer files. The other XP/W2K can not log on to the main system (asking for a password). I set-up all systems identical with NO passwords. How do I disable the password feature? I have read nearly all the posts in this thread with no luck any help is apperciated greatly.

All systems have file print sharing, client for MS, QoS, TCP/IP enabled

Thank you in advance,

I checked the routing/workgroup all computers can see each other. Here is my problem (A) can see into systems (B) & ©. However when (B) & © attempt to log-on to (A) a pop-up box will say "connecting to (A) prompting for User Name/Password". How do I unable name/password?

Thank you,

Alec Staar: Thank you for the tip. The setting you refere to is already in place would you have anyother suggestions I am out of fresh ideas?

Thank you in advance,

Yes "client for MS network" is in place, Have defaut Netbios set.

Thank you for your help. Would you further explain changing the user names please.

Thank you for the words of encourgement. I solved the first problem by adding a guest account with a password...thank you. Here is my next problem(s).

I am now trying to set-up my laptop with the network here is the error I am getting:

XXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permission.

Logon failure:user account restriction. Possible reason are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

Any ideas Thank you again,

PS: When I restart XP I am givin a choice of which name to logon as, is there a way to set up a guest account that allows file sharing without choosing which name to logon as when the system is restarted?

Wanted to thank you for all the suggestions/help. Here is how I solved the problem.

I added the (same) password to the name of the "computer and administrator" Then logon.

Again thank you for all your recommendations and time...

Be sure to disable the Guest account immediately, as it is a major hole in and of itself.

Well if he's using blank passwords disabling the guest account won't really do him any good. laugh

I didn't even see that he was using blank passwords, I must have blocked that atrocity from my sight. And do you know what the best part is? Someday someone on a network that's similarly configured will complain about how easy it was to "hack" in. Oh well. The guest account will not even prompt you for a logon, while having it disabled will at *least* make the person go through the effort of typing in a user name (but still no password). Ack.

What I did was assign the same password (not a blank one) to "Administrator/computer name" this change how I logon (need a password now). Where I got the idea from was my neighbor (he is one of many network mgr for MS).

I again thank everyone for all their assistance,

Cheers,