Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

Security & Stability

Now i was quick to make my slipstreamed Win2K SP3 CD and reinstalling on my computer.

After that IE6 was also installed.

Now after all this controversy over the EULA, i have decided to give windowsupdate the flick.

Considering the superiority of this operating system compared to it's predisessors, i don't see that windowsupdate is necessary any longer. I mean lets be realistic, how many more undiscoverd bugs and security holes can there be left in such a tried and tested operating system?

Now, please, i'm a reffering to the home user basis here, novice or power user. The business environment is a different ball park altogether.

My point is that, 30% of internet users are running Win98, with IE4 or if lucky IE5, many whom have never visited windowsupdate, their computers function and thats all their concerned about, right? ;(

Here i am, a regular joe, with no particularly sensitive data on my machine, i have no enemies or foes really, i don't use my computer in a malicous way. I use caution with email attachment. I am running Win2K SP3, IE6, Latest Mcafee Viruscan and Firewall products. Lets face it, am i really a target for hackers viruses or what not?

I just keep thinking about those people out there running windows 95 and 98 and have never had any security or privacy threats. Some using Mcafee v3 or nothing at all, running spyware like kazaa ect..

I mean, realistically what are the risks that anything on my computer or any use of my computer will significantly compromise my privacy or the safety of my data?

Anyway just a thought smile

I am now just waiting on IE6's SP1, then i think i'll sit on this configuration for quite some time.

PS. Don't get me wrong, I think windows update may be quite important for corporate environments, especially where latest harware is in use. In my case though i have a Pentium II 400mhz, so i think the device drivers ect.. are as up to date as theyll ever be.

Cheers,

Security is Relative ;(

yea i thought that also till I was attaced by a virus recently and NAV Corp. Picked it up. Also I run IIS and that code red thing was pretty serirous for a while. The thing is windows update and other software and services like liveupdate from symantec make it really easy to get all the latest and stay protected. They can also be fully automated to do it all for you. So the question is why risk anything if you don't have to. Even if you don't have sensitive data it sure would be a bummer if a hacker hosed your system and you had to reinstall. Like you said you are an average joe so it would be a lot more time consuming to reinstall all the stuff on your computer that it would for a corporate tech or serious power user with imaging tools and automated install procedures. Not trying to dis you or make assumptions btw just rambling. I find that I do that a lot when I am drinking my whiskey. In fact I will shut up and get another glass.

Well, let's say you happen to get a trojan that makes your computer a zombie for someone's little DDoS army. I bet that would rain on your parade eh? Many people think that viruses and trojans are limited to stealing data, but now your bandwidth and CPU cycles can be just as valuable.

Hey guys thanks for your response,

Your replies are no doubt pretty valid, i probably should have said also that i am on a dial-up connection, which means my computer is not plugged into the internet 24/7 at best with dial-up a couple of hours, and during peak hours i get booted off after 3hrs from my ISP. frown

Anyway regarding trojans and stuff, normally that kind of protection is delivered from your VS/FW Product, i'm not sure, but i can't remember many patches from windows update that directly help in virus protection, or hacker protection. ;(

I haven't been there since the release of SP3, so i don't know what patches are available now, but usually it's stuff like vunrebility in windows media player or patches for Outlook Express, then there's the extra downloads and stuff which i don't really need.

The patches for IE, i usually dl, but then again, it is usually stuff for redirecting of a malicous web-site operator or faking the location of a file being downloaded or something, but i don't generally visit any malicouse sites. ([censored]o ;( and what not)

And regarding being an average joe, i meant in the use of my computer, not in the knowledge sense. I use caution where applicable & take my backups ect... Actually i use Powerquests DriveImage 2002, really is a great product:D

I admit though zombie for someone's DoS Army would probably rain my parade frown

F & T, drink more whiskey! smile

How do you know that the sites that you visit are not "malicious"? Any site can be and most likely will eventually at some point become malicious either through intent by an outside source or by accident from the website operator. A "Malicious site" in most cases IS a trusted site not a more commonly thought of "Warez" site. In fact the "underground" warez crackes/serials/warez sites are usually more secure than most business web sites. smile