Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Need a decent program to replicate my hard disks plz..

I have 2 hd's in the PC atm:

Primary Master: Maxtor 30.1Gb ATA-133 (BOOT, SYSTEM & PROGRAMS)

Primary Slave: Maxtor 20.4Gb ATA-100 (FILE STORAGE)

both disks are nearly full and I'm thinking of purchasing another Maxtor 80Gb drive to replace the boot drive and use the remaining 2 as backup/storage drives.

The thing is I have my OS setup exactly as I want it now and don't want to spend ages reconfiguring it doing a fresh install.

What program could I buy (or download if theres a freeware one) that would allow me to duplicate my primary disk to the new 80Gb one?

I'm using W2000 SP3 btw.

ta

Use Norton Ghost (you also get a version if you buy Norton Systemworks).

This will allow you copy the contents of one hard drive to another.

There are alternatives (although I can't remember what they are off the top of my head, maybe one of the other guys here can help - the disadvantage of PUI), but I'm not sure if there are any freeware alternatives.

Rgds

AndyF

Quote:
send me a pm if you want to know more wink about norton ghost

Information is power! wink
I thought we did not do that here smile

Ghost is cool. will do the trick on a single pc or accross the network for 100PC's smile

Quote:
Ghost is cool. will do the trick on a single pc or accross the network for 100PC's smile

And the corporate edition does multicast, so you can do 100PCs at the same time.

But in this instance, the standard version will work fine. It's downloadable from Symantec's website, electronic version costs about $70...

AndyF

Some manufacturers also bundle it with their hardware. I got a version of it my with Epox mobo smile

Quote:
Quote:

And the corporate edition does multicast, so you can do 100PCs at the same time.

But in this instance, the standard version will work fine. It's downloadable from Symantec's website, electronic version costs about $70...

AndyF

Is there a standart version smilesmilelaugh

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a standart version smilesmilelaugh

There is if you pay for it laughlaugh

AndyF

I paid for it. But got the corporate.

Hopefully no one will shun my idea, but I really like PowerQuest's DriveImage 2002. I've never had it fail, even on client's computers where the old drive had many bad sectors. DriveImage 2002 and PartitionMagic 7.0 should be in every technician's toolbox. The software costs about $65 US each, but well worth every dollar. My $.02. Thanks.

ServerImage? I think I had a demo of that, I believe it came on either the DriveImage CD... or maybe it was on the PartitionMagic CD. I hadn't used it, since it is a demo, and I really don't have a "sever" set up. I would imagine to get the most out of a program such as ServerImage, you would need to have multiple raid arrays.