Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BadBens

Windows Update Error??

I've just reinstalled Win2k and added SP3, but now I can't seen to be able to download any updates from Windows Update (after SP3 update). I get this when I press the "Install Now" button :

Quote:
Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

Select from any of the following pages for information about Windows Update services, or send us your feedback.

Windows Update Home Page

About Windows Update

Support Information

Send error number to Microsoft (0x800A138F)

Note This sends error information but does not create a support incident; you may or may not receive a response.

I've checked the other post inthis forum but none helped frown

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thx in advance

BadBen

Well I don't know if it is related but I was getting that problem a while back as well. Sometimes the update site is wacky and you need to wait a day or so before trying again. however if this has been going on for a few days then you probably have a corrupted file that the updater needs and what I did to resolve it was ..

I did a search of their knowledge base using part of that error code and it gave me a link to a file to download and replace in your system folder. after doing that the problem went away.

I just can't remember the name of the file and I don't have it on my puter anymore or I would just offer it.

but this might help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q243787

S

I'm also having the same problem with windows update.

I've been trying for a week now, but it's no good.

If I find out anything that helps or works, I will post it here.

Ok

I found the problem, smile You must delete the iuctl.dll from your "system32" folder, then restart Internet Explorer, and start Windows Update, everything sould work fine. It worked for me. (note: Windows Update will reinstall the file with a working version)

Its seems that SP3 "corrupted" or "change" this file, and Windows Updates wasn't able to load.

BadBen

Quote:
I should of mention also, that you must delete it from the dllcache folder before delete the one in the system32 folder. (so windows wont put back the same version)

Here the URL I got the info, there also some other solution.

http://www.anetforums.com/thread.asp?Action=Read&ThreadIndex=9149

BadBen

I don't have iuctl.dll in the cache file you mention, just the one in system32 (v5.4.3630.11) ... and another one in WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386 (v5.4.3628.1)

Thank you for the link to the JSI FAQ. I did all as suggested. Still doesn't work though - same error. I think it's time to get a new hard drive and start over. At one point I upgraded Publisher 2000 to Publisher 2002 and had a crash during the upgrade. I think windows update thinks I am running WinXP when I am actually running w2k/SP3.

Also,way back I upgraded from IE6 beta to full version. I guess I was supposed to uninstall the beta first. This seems to have caused white background problems on all web pages (and my desktop when "display web content" is enabled)

Hi,

We noticed today that 7 of our newly SP3'ed machines are also doing the same trick as yours apaul38.

They are all fresh installs and definetely no beta of any kind or power failure or crash smile

I have traced it down to be a network problem. are you connecting directly or over a lan.

Solution: Not yet, working on it.

iuctl.dll: It is update software nothing more. the US works on your machine it just can't download anything etc.

I had the same problem and this fixed it. I had a fresh install and just installed SP3. Then went to update windows and it wouldn't download it. I had to uninstall SP3. Download the Windows trust certify thingy and checked always trust microsoft. That always bothered me trust Microsoft [HA]! Then I downloaded a small file just to be sure it worked and reinstalled SP3. Went back to Win update and downloaded all the updates left. Hope it helps. Did all this before I realized SP3 screws up my MS sidewinder gamepad in Madden 2002. Works fine in the control panel but stops working in the middle of game. Tried different sound drivers, nothing worked except uninstalling SP3.

It was my Zone Alarm Pro...why it never prompted me to allow the connection I don't know...

Windows update works fine with it disabled.

It bothers me to be online, even for a few minutes, with "shields down".